Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASUS PRIME X370-PRO, how does it work on linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASUS PRIME X370-PRO, how does it work on linux?

I'm building a new desktop for myself this month and torn between MSI B350 Tomahawk and this ASUS Prime X370-pro. Asus looks a bit better for future-proofing and has better M2 slot location, but I'm concerned about hw support under linux. I'm running Fedora, so I'm already at 4.10 kernel with 4.11 coming soon, so main concern is audio, but seems like RealTek ALC1220 should have support in 4.11 and works on other distros on earlier kernels.

Tomahawk seems like a good value for money and seems to be working just fine with linux. I'm planning to use them with Ryzen 1700. Does anyone have experience with this motherboard?

Well, despite the fact that I couldn't find definitive answer, I still went with this motherboard in my setup. I'll post my experience then later this week when my order arrives

Comment

Asus boards for the most part just work, in my experience. Only problem I have had with them over the years was sensor reading on some models.

Comment

Now that I'm back from vacation I'm going to try to get my system set up tonight - ASUS PRIME X370-Pro & Ryzen 1700.

Just need to dig up a graphics card (I think I have an HD 7790 in a box somewhere) so I can see what it's doing....
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
          Asus boards for the most part just work, in my experience. Only problem I have had with them over the years was sensor reading on some models.
          Well, it's a bit different with these AM4 boards, since they either utilizes old proven and tested audio/nic like Tomahawk from MSI and B350 or like this one. It's just been 10 years since my last desktop build and things changed

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          Now that I'm back from vacation I'm going to try to get my system set up tonight - ASUS PRIME X370-Pro & Ryzen 1700.

Just need to dig up a graphics card (I think I have an HD 7790 in a box somewhere) so I can see what it's doing....
          I went with GTX 1060 mostly due to power consumption compared to RX480/580, hopefully will be building it later today/tomorrow

Comment

So quick update on the build that I finally put together today. On F25 I couldn't get to the installer from live image, it showed tons of errors, but F26 alpha works like a charm, everything works so far, including network card and audio

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Bridgman, how did you get on with ASUS PRIME X370-Pro & Ryzen 1700 ?

Comment

Originally posted by Lord_Phoenix View Post
                So quick update on the build that I finally put together today. On F25 I couldn't get to the installer from live image, it showed tons of errors, but F26 alpha works like a charm, everything works so far, including network card and audio
                Are you still getting good performance with ASUS PRIME X370-Pro & Ryzen 1700?

Comment

Originally posted by expectATIon View Post

Are you still getting good performance with ASUS PRIME X370-Pro & Ryzen 1700?
                  I'm perfectly satisfied with both PRIME X370-Pro and R7 1700. To be honest, I would've go even lower. A month after I've build a desktop for my wife with ASUS B350-Plus and R5 1600 and I think it's perfectly fine. Everything so far works fine with X370 chip and except infamous segfault issue for first batches of R7 under stress load it's working perfectly fine. I've overclocked it from 3.0 to 3.8 base clock with stock cooler and it's still running under 55C. Motherboard is an overkill because I simple don't use all the slots and ports.
                  I had some memory overclocking issue in the beginning going over 2400 Mhz, but that was a long time ago and I'm running 2666 Mhz completely stable.

Comment

Originally posted by expectATIon View Post
                    Bridgman, how did you get on with ASUS PRIME X370-Pro & Ryzen 1700 ?
                    I regret to say that work and more urgent home things have kept getting in the way. Mostly assembled but haven't touched it for a couple of weeks. I'm using one of those open cases which should be handy when finished but has an awful lot of fiddly parts to put together first:

I guess I should at least plug the parts together and see if it lights up.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X