96Boards Officially Launches The HiKey 960 ARM Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by creative View Post
    I do prefer x86 and agree there is no comparison 'at the moment that is', I see massive potential in ARM based systems as multimedia/gaming/workstation capable systems. I see mobile technologies already opening up a gateway for this. While it would propose a headache for developers for example Linus Torvalds himself gives his first hand account of that.
    hardkernel's preparing x86 board

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
      We are already there from the standpoint of hardware. Most cell phones are as capable as many desktops from 5 years ago. The certainly out class the machines of ten years ago. All we really need on iOS or Android is a better OS. Neither of the major cell phone. OS's can do the work station trick yet. That is not a hardware issue though.
      You are kidding, right? cortex A73 is just 1/2 of piledriver (fx8350) performance. and like ~35% of sandy bridge--6 years old proc--performance.

Comment

Originally posted by t.s. View Post
        They aren't the only ones, btw. http://www.udoo.org/udoo-x86/ (looks beefy)

Comment

Originally posted by t.s. View Post
          You are kidding, right? cortex A73 is just 1/2 of piledriver (fx8350) performance. and like ~35% of sandy bridge--6 years old proc--performance.
          A dated x86 system back to like 4-5 years ago outstrips any accessible ARM based system by a hilariously huge margin. Fact is graphics cards are upgradable and so is the ram in those systems, while the fx8320 compared to an i7 is a total dog it makes the subject even funnier.

Having an Ipad myself, I am going to be honest I find some use in handhelds but honestly I think they really suck and big time I find an Ipad very uncomfortable to use, smartphones especially.

Mobile does not always mean better which is what most people use and have their heads inextricably ensared in.

Mobiles are convenient tools yet uncomfortable to use. Is that not a paradoxical statement? "Convenient tools yet uncomfortable to use!"

I call it machine culture 'no I did not coin the term', although it is a deeply depressing thing to see on a day to day bases.

It seems that Ray Kurzweil's highest ideal has already started off with a massive bang of eschatological flatulence.
          Last edited by creative; 27 April 2017, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Don't be so harsh: Finally a board with A73, and not too little RAM.

I have been looking for something powerful enough for desktop* use and suitable for running on 3S LiPo batteries. This one seems to fit the bill, except that the software support is going to suck for some time, expectedly.

*desktop use = coding & compilation work
            Last edited by andreano; 27 April 2017, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post
              Having an Ipad myself, I am going to be honest I find some use in handhelds but honestly I think they really suck and big time I find an Ipad very uncomfortable to use, smartphones especially.

Mobile does not always mean better which is what most people use and have their heads inextricably ensared in.

Mobiles are convenient tools yet uncomfortable to use. Is that not a paradoxical statement? "Convenient tools yet uncomfortable to use!"

I call it machine culture 'no I did not coin the term', although it is a deeply depressing thing to see on a day to day bases.

It seems that Ray Kurzweil's highest ideal has already started off with a massive bang of eschatological flatulence.
              Depends. My wife rather have a smartphone than computer. As for me, mobile's a tools that quite comfortable to use. I can check email, having online transaction, and sometimes using it for works. I longed for a day when smartphone have an innards that have performance like an i7, long battery life, and convergence UX

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                Nice. Last time visited their site, the x86 section still doesn't populated like that. Still too expensive IMHO. Waiting for hardkernel offerings (they're good with what they're doing, cheaper compared to the others, and quite good support) .

Comment

Originally posted by andreano View Post
                  Don't be so harsh: Finally a board with A73, and not too little RAM.

I have been looking for something powerful enough for desktop* use and suitable for running on 3S LiPo batteries. This one seems to fit the bill, except that the software support is going to suck for some time, expectedly.

*desktop use = coding & compilation work
                  Rather than this board, you'd be better get something like UDOO (look for post #23, starshipeleven). or get something like chuwi HiBox. Superb innards for just $129

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Mali? No open drivers? Sorry but I quit. When will there be another Snapdragon board that we can use out of the box?
                    Lets say "less than several months".
                    What you are waiting for is the "Dragonboard 820c", which as the name implies, has a Snapdragon 820 for an SoC. Its using the 96boards "extended" form, and adds a few nice features, most notably a *wired ethernet*. Hasn't been much new data about it since mid February, but I've recently contacted Arrow, and they tell me that its being delayed by Qualcomm legal and will be made available once they get it forced through.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                      The Ultra package $250 for a quadcore Pentium with 8GB ram I could design one wicked tiny DAW with that system.

I already built the Prometheus for digital artwork/music/video production +gaming.

Anyone who wants to offer a 6950x I will gladly accept it with much gratitude though.

Oh jubilant muse of twenty threadedness and ten core goodness, please bestow upon me your 25 megabytes of radiant L3 splendor.
                      Last edited by creative; 28 April 2017, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X