Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting comments.
    Originally posted by creative View Post
    Right now the HiKey 96 I see as not even an option but a mere tinker thing.
    Option for what? It is a very good board for the targetted market which by the way is extremely small. It is a terrible choice if your desire is to run Linux right now.

I have a love hate relationship with ARM. However, I would really like to see a desktop alternative as an additional option alongside x86 albeit it more modifiable like the x86 platform.
    Modifiable is a thing of the past!!! It is like wishing for horse and buggy in the age of the automobile. Serious we are onlyba year or two away from having RAM integrated in package. Even today there is little out side of the CPU SoC package.
    I do prefer x86 and agree there is no comparison 'at the moment that is', I see massive potential in ARM based systems as multimedia/gaming/workstation capable systems. I see mobile technologies already opening up a gateway for this. While it would propose a headache for developers for example Linus Torvalds himself gives his first hand account of that.
    Apple has pretty much proven that they can get laptop class performance out of ARM at much lower power levels. ARM does need a major vendor to offer an open hardware ARM platform but it would be nuts to go retro with a tower.
    We are drawing closer to the handheld workstation but that is far far off in my opinion.
    We are already there from the standpoint of hardware. Most cell phones are as capable as many desktops from 5 years ago. The certainly out class the machines of ten years ago. All we really need on iOS or Android is a better OS. Neither of the major cell phone. OS's can do the work station trick yet. That is not a hardware issue though.
    One of the biggest problems of ARM based technologies now, quite obviously is that they are very disposable, "An Issue of Modernity". The hardware platform is a styrofoam cup due to the current lack of being modifiable in traditional sense that we PC users are accustomed to.
    Well that i agree with. However that doesnt mean that a modern board standard csnt be developed.

Comment

Interesting comments.
      Originally posted by creative View Post
      Right now the HiKey 96 I see as not even an option but a mere tinker thing.
      Option for what? It is a very good board for the targetted market which by the way is extremely small. It is a terrible choice if your desire is to run Linux right now.

I have a love hate relationship with ARM. However, I would really like to see a desktop alternative as an additional option alongside x86 albeit it more modifiable like the x86 platform.
      Modifiable is a thing of the past!!! It is like wishing for horse and buggy in the age of the automobile. Serious we are onlyba year or two away from having RAM integrated in package. Even today there is little out side of the CPU SoC package.
      I do prefer x86 and agree there is no comparison 'at the moment that is', I see massive potential in ARM based systems as multimedia/gaming/workstation capable systems. I see mobile technologies already opening up a gateway for this. While it would propose a headache for developers for example Linus Torvalds himself gives his first hand account of that.
      Apple has pretty much proven that they can get laptop class performance out of ARM at much lower power levels. ARM does need a major vendor to offer an open hardware ARM platform but it would be nuts to go retro with a tower.
      We are drawing closer to the handheld workstation but that is far far off in my opinion.
      We are already there from the standpoint of hardware. Most cell phones are as capable as many desktops from 5 years ago. The certainly out class the machines of ten years ago. All we really need on iOS or Android is a better OS. Neither of the major cell phone. OS's can do the work station trick yet. That is not a hardware issue though.
      One of the biggest problems of ARM based technologies now, quite obviously is that they are very disposable, "An Issue of Modernity". The hardware platform is a styrofoam cup due to the current lack of being modifiable in traditional sense that we PC users are accustomed to.
      Well that i agree with. However that doesnt mean that a modern board standard csnt be developed.

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianBc View Post

You did not look at the specifications. A single Cortex-A73 is at least 2-3 times faster than a Cortex-A53 at the same clock frequency. So 4 Cortex-A73 @ 2.4 GHZ + 4 Cortex-A53 @1.8GHz are at least 7-8 times faster that 4 Cortex-A53 @ 1.2 GHz (e.g. Raspberry Pi 3). Thus, if you divide $240 by 8, you have $30, so the performance per dollar is at least as good as for Raspberry Pi 3 or similar computers.

This board might not be suitable for many purposes because it is unlikely that it will have good documentation and good software support, but not because of the price, which is very good for what you get.
        2-3 times faster, hmm I did not know that and assumed 30% thinking it's like every generation of intel processors. guess I have to divide all those numbers by 3...
        This is one of the SBCs that i was comparing(an A53): http://wiki.friendlyarm.com/wiki/index.php/NanoPi_M3

Comment

Originally posted by FastCode View Post
          2-3 times faster, hmm I did not know that and assumed 30% thinking it's like every generation of intel processors.
          30% is a very generous estimate for each new gen of Intel processors. Just saying.

Comment

How does this compare with the Amlogic S905, such as you'd find in the Khadas Vim?

Comment

Originally posted by LoveRPi View Post
              Cortex-A73 is a large out of order core so performance is going to be 3x that of the Raspberry Pi in single threaded applications and 5x in multi threaded applications. This does not include GPU which is on the order of 10-100 times faster than the one in the Raspberry Pi 3.
              Your numbers look completely off. Even ARM's own marketing materials for the A73 only cites 2x single thread performance over the A53, and only 30% better multi-thread performance at eight cores. Since th Pi only has 4 cores, lets say maybe 60% better for multi-threaded performance. Source: https://community.arm.com/processors...mobile-designs

What hole did you even pull the 10-100 times faster GPU number from? The Pi has an old GPU, to be sure, but big, and as far as I know there are no benchmarks that can give you any comparison points.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                30% is a very generous estimate for each new gen of Intel processors. Just saying.
                Yes indeed from i7 6700k to i7 7700k there is only a 7% to 10% difference. The biggest upgrade in the 7th gen series was the i7 7700 non-k if your in to lower wattage 65w if you consider lower TDP an upgrade in contrast to only 6% slower than the 6700k at stock speeds. So if you really want more you will have to go ryzen 7/xeon/i7 10 core. Even knowing of ryzen after my build if I could travel back and had the chance to change I would not have mainly considering the distribution I use and the way intel seems to be supported in linux especially for older kernels with back ports.

Comment

Even people using i7 4770ks or 4790ks fervently admit that they can't justify upgrading to a newer generation of i7. Even a 2600k is setting pretty in contrast to newer generations of i7's. Its very small bumps in speed so your only option is more cores for a whole lot more money or waiting it out with a ryzen 7 system for less money and many are overclocking those to get faster single core/thread speeds. It's really all pretty frustrating when you think about it. I happened to get a massive speed boost moving to an i7 coming from an FX 8320.

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianBc View Post
                    This board might not be suitable for many purposes because it is unlikely that it will have good documentation and good software support, but not because of the price, which is very good for what you get.
                    Upstreaming is ongoing through Linaro
                    Stay tuned for a Debian-based distribution for the board
                    SoC documentation is here: http://www.96boards.org/documentatio...ocs/README.md/

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                      octa-core CPU made of A73 and A53 cores in a big.LITTLE configuration
                      That makes it sound better than a quad-core, but it's really not. This configuration on the Odroid XU4 was disappointing for performance and stability, but at least that's a lot cheaper than this new HiKey board is. Mainline kernel support was the other thing serious lacking from the Odroid XU4; I would rather hold off buying something new until that work has been done (otherwise it might never happen, and you're left with an unmaintained paperweight).

Comment

Working...
                      X