Clear All

• t.s.
    replied
    overpriced.

Leave a comment:

• Min1123
    replied
    Originally posted by FastCode View Post
    Someone enlighten me, why is this board so special that makes it worth paying 240 speechless george washingtons for?
    I am disappointed in this, but it appears this is to replicate a high-spec, but mid-range phone from the end of this year or the beginning of next year, so it is supposed to boost AOSP development. Thus, they seem to have priced it the way a phone with such specs would currently be priced, minus the screen + battery + portability + phone.

They are only releasing an AOSP Android with it for now, so with Mali still being closed, someone would have to make a leap of faith and buy the board, then spend time trying to get it's kernel up and running, then mash another filesystem on it in a way that can boot, then wire up libhybris with the GPU drivers from Android to try to get it to run with most of the hardware support.

So for now, this is a dev board for phones and tablets, even though it could've been a real computer.

Leave a comment:

• FastCode
    replied
    With 240 USD, I can buy 9~12 quadcore or 5~8 octacore boards with a little less ram & emmc or 3~5 boards with very similar configuration all including the powersuply, fan, heatsink, box, etc that they need.

Someone enlighten me, why is this board so special that makes it worth paying 240 speechless george washingtons for?

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Seems like a very nice board.
    Too bad its pretty expensive too.
    Much more powerful than Raspberry Pi, on the other hand I can buy several RPi for the price of one.

I would like to see a RISC-V board.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    This ARM board has 3GB of LPDDR4 and 32GB of flash storage and Mali graphics.
    Mali? No open drivers? Sorry but I quit. When will there be another Snapdragon board that we can use out of the box?

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic 96Boards Officially Launches The HiKey 960 ARM Board

96Boards Officially Launches The HiKey 960 ARM Board

Phoronix: 96Boards Officially Launches The HiKey 960 ARM Board

The 96Boards organization has announced the official launch and shipping of the HiKey 960...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ards-HiKey-960
Working...
X