X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• t.s.
    replied
    Originally posted by creative View Post
    Having an Ipad myself, I am going to be honest I find some use in handhelds but honestly I think they really suck and big time I find an Ipad very uncomfortable to use, smartphones especially.

Mobile does not always mean better which is what most people use and have their heads inextricably ensared in.

Mobiles are convenient tools yet uncomfortable to use. Is that not a paradoxical statement? "Convenient tools yet uncomfortable to use!"

I call it machine culture 'no I did not coin the term', although it is a deeply depressing thing to see on a day to day bases.

It seems that Ray Kurzweil's highest ideal has already started off with a massive bang of eschatological flatulence.
    Depends. My wife rather have a smartphone than computer. As for me, mobile's a tools that quite comfortable to use. I can check email, having online transaction, and sometimes using it for works. I longed for a day when smartphone have an innards that have performance like an i7, long battery life, and convergence UX

Leave a comment:

• andreano
    replied
    Don't be so harsh: Finally a board with A73, and not too little RAM.

I have been looking for something powerful enough for desktop* use and suitable for running on 3S LiPo batteries. This one seems to fit the bill, except that the software support is going to suck for some time, expectedly.

*desktop use = coding & compilation work
    Last edited by andreano; 04-27-2017, 05:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• creative
    replied
    Originally posted by t.s. View Post
    You are kidding, right? cortex A73 is just 1/2 of piledriver (fx8350) performance. and like ~35% of sandy bridge--6 years old proc--performance.
    A dated x86 system back to like 4-5 years ago outstrips any accessible ARM based system by a hilariously huge margin. Fact is graphics cards are upgradable and so is the ram in those systems, while the fx8320 compared to an i7 is a total dog it makes the subject even funnier.

Having an Ipad myself, I am going to be honest I find some use in handhelds but honestly I think they really suck and big time I find an Ipad very uncomfortable to use, smartphones especially.

Mobile does not always mean better which is what most people use and have their heads inextricably ensared in.

Mobiles are convenient tools yet uncomfortable to use. Is that not a paradoxical statement? "Convenient tools yet uncomfortable to use!"

I call it machine culture 'no I did not coin the term', although it is a deeply depressing thing to see on a day to day bases.

It seems that Ray Kurzweil's highest ideal has already started off with a massive bang of eschatological flatulence.
    Last edited by creative; 04-27-2017, 03:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• starshipeleven
    replied
    Originally posted by t.s. View Post
    They aren't the only ones, btw. http://www.udoo.org/udoo-x86/ (looks beefy)

Leave a comment:

• t.s.
    replied
    Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
    We are already there from the standpoint of hardware. Most cell phones are as capable as many desktops from 5 years ago. The certainly out class the machines of ten years ago. All we really need on iOS or Android is a better OS. Neither of the major cell phone. OS's can do the work station trick yet. That is not a hardware issue though.
    You are kidding, right? cortex A73 is just 1/2 of piledriver (fx8350) performance. and like ~35% of sandy bridge--6 years old proc--performance.

Leave a comment:

• t.s.
    replied
    Originally posted by creative View Post
    I do prefer x86 and agree there is no comparison 'at the moment that is', I see massive potential in ARM based systems as multimedia/gaming/workstation capable systems. I see mobile technologies already opening up a gateway for this. While it would propose a headache for developers for example Linus Torvalds himself gives his first hand account of that.
    hardkernel's preparing x86 board

Leave a comment:

• stevenc
    replied
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    octa-core CPU made of A73 and A53 cores in a big.LITTLE configuration
    That makes it sound better than a quad-core, but it's really not. This configuration on the Odroid XU4 was disappointing for performance and stability, but at least that's a lot cheaper than this new HiKey board is. Mainline kernel support was the other thing serious lacking from the Odroid XU4; I would rather hold off buying something new until that work has been done (otherwise it might never happen, and you're left with an unmaintained paperweight).

Leave a comment:

• nomadcoder
    replied
    Originally posted by AdrianBc View Post
    This board might not be suitable for many purposes because it is unlikely that it will have good documentation and good software support, but not because of the price, which is very good for what you get.
    Upstreaming is ongoing through Linaro
    Stay tuned for a Debian-based distribution for the board
    SoC documentation is here: http://www.96boards.org/documentatio...ocs/README.md/

Leave a comment:

• creative
    replied
    Even people using i7 4770ks or 4790ks fervently admit that they can't justify upgrading to a newer generation of i7. Even a 2600k is setting pretty in contrast to newer generations of i7's. Its very small bumps in speed so your only option is more cores for a whole lot more money or waiting it out with a ryzen 7 system for less money and many are overclocking those to get faster single core/thread speeds. It's really all pretty frustrating when you think about it. I happened to get a massive speed boost moving to an i7 coming from an FX 8320.

Leave a comment:

• creative
    replied
    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    30% is a very generous estimate for each new gen of Intel processors. Just saying.
    Yes indeed from i7 6700k to i7 7700k there is only a 7% to 10% difference. The biggest upgrade in the 7th gen series was the i7 7700 non-k if your in to lower wattage 65w if you consider lower TDP an upgrade in contrast to only 6% slower than the 6700k at stock speeds. So if you really want more you will have to go ryzen 7/xeon/i7 10 core. Even knowing of ryzen after my build if I could travel back and had the chance to change I would not have mainly considering the distribution I use and the way intel seems to be supported in linux especially for older kernels with back ports.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X