B250M GAMING PRO Motherboard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B250M GAMING PRO Motherboard

Any thoughts on success I might have with this motherboard using Ubuntu or Mint?

Would like to build an up-o-date Linux system as I migrate from macOS, so I ordered the MSI B250M Gaming Pro along with Intel G4650 CPU, 8GB of DDR, and a small SSD. Will arrive next week and I report back - but if anyone has had success with this board or chipset I like to hear about it.

Thanks!

Hardware received and Ubuntu 17.04 installed from USB. Stayed up late to get this computer up and not very far into testing yet. So far all the big things are working great, full 2560 x 1440 resolution, sound, network, storage, and USB. Will report back if any problems are found. So nice to have Linux running on relatively up-to-date hardware, instead of retired Windows machines.

Comment

Update - working very well for me - stable with good performance. My cost for the new parts detailed below was $200.97 US (Newegg.com). Reused a case, optical drive, and power supply. The SSD is a new Crucial MX300 275GB purchased on a Black Friday special for $75. Keyboard is Razer mechanical, and the mouse was bundled with the motherboard.

* MSI B250M GAMING PRO LGA 1151 Intel B250 - MSI DS BI gaming mouse included in the box.

* Intel Pentium G4560 Kaby Lake Dual-Core 3.5 GHz -
      Intel HD Graphics 610, supports DDR4 and DDR3L.

* G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 - single stick (motherboard only has two ram slots). Only runs at 2133, but that might be the CPU

Suspend (S4/S5) works, had two occasions of video flashing after resuming, but it stopped after clicking on the desktop. The mouse LEDs remains lit when plugged into any of the USB 3.1 ports, goes off when plugged into USB 2 ports. Have to use the power button to wake system up (it flashes), no way to do that with the keyboard or mouse that I can see.

Didn't have any success overclocking the CPU or RAM, but the board self recovered by resetting to defaults. BIOS options seem a bit limited, have not tested BIOS updating, but there is a method to do that within the BIOS using a flash drive (Windows not required). The BIOS supports using the mouse, kinda nice.

Used Handbrake to encode a couple of DVDs, on System Monitor all 4 threads were being used, but the system still responded to input without delay and other processes would launch and run normally. Encode time was likely slow compared to some, about an hour for Mechanic: Resurrection, using high quality 1080p surround sound preset.

Using the HDMI video out, which supports the max resolution of my monitor, specs indicate it will go higher as well. Ripped video and YouTube looked and sounded good, no shuttering or tearing. Did not test HDMI audio out, no speakers in my monitor. Used both the front and rear audio out ports and sound quality was quite good using headphones. Have not tried audio in or using the microphone yet.

My goal was to run Linux on newer hardware and keep the cost down in case it didn't work out. This build has met my expectations and is quickly becoming my goto computer, replacing my 2014 Apple Mac Mini. Been a Mac guy for a long time, but Apple is just not offering computers I want anymore. Thanks for your site, good information here.

Comment

Working...
      X