Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte EP45 DS4 or ASUS P5Q Deluxe

Hello,

I am in the process of changing my PC, my AMD64 3500+ has served me long enough and it's time to give it to my wife

That PC will be a dual boot between XP and probably the upcoming FC10.
    It will get some Raptor, 4 GB of RAM, a Q9550 and a GTX260 (+ or not depending on availability).

As the title suggests after some browsing, I have decided I would go for either Gigabyte EP45 DS4 or ASUS P5Q Deluxe.
    What can I expect of Linux compatability on both these motherboards ? Network, sound, SATA and so on?

Thanks

Well for ICH10 you should get a distro with kernel 2.6.26 or newer. Should be no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
      Well for ICH10 you should get a distro with kernel 2.6.26 or newer. Should be no problem.
      The problem is not ICH10(R) support but rather the more or less exotic Ethernet and audio support. For instance, IIUC RTL8111C is not present in 2.6.26.

Comment

Would be very curious, because for example the P5Q runs Linux by default with an even very old kernel 2.6.20 (only legacy mode for SATA) called Express Gate (SplashTop)... You can be sure network does work. Also many new distros will use 2.6.27. Sound could be a little problem, but you can always update kernel or just update alsa - in most cases an alsa kernel option should be enough in case of problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          Would be very curious, because for example the P5Q runs Linux by default with an even very old kernel 2.6.20 (only legacy mode for SATA) called Express Gate (SplashTop)... You can be sure network does work.
          You know that if a given distro works it doesn't prove anything especially when it's made by the constructor

P5Q and P5Q-Pro for instance have issues with most (all?) current distributions:
          ASUS forum
          Ubuntu forum

Sure one can make it work, but I would like first hand experience on these boards

Comment

Overall gigabyte seems better equipped and less troubled.
            But I heard bad things about Gigabyte boards only supporting ACPI 1.0b. Power management may be worse than with Asus.

Comment

As long as you don't OC the board EIST does work with Gigabyte. That means the cpu will slow down in idle mode when for example powersaved is installed.

Comment

Well as a user of Gigabyte EX38 I may add that EIST works even when using the automatic overclock setting, that dynamically raises FSB under load.
                And frequency still changes if you tweak CPU voltage.
                But if you tweak FSB manually, it doesn't.

Nut sure what ACPI regulates. There has to be something...

Comment

When you raise Vcore with Gigabyte EIST is useless because the Vcore has to be lowered too to save energy. Did not try that automatic oc - if I oc i want full control over it...

Comment

Don't know why but my answer to Kano has been moderated.

Basically I was giving links to forums that show people have issues with recent kernels and the ethernet controller found in P5Q and P5Q-pro. That's just an example of why I would like *first-hand* experience on these boards

As far as ExpressGate is concerned it obviously works, but that doesn't prove anything for general distros

Comment

Working...
                    X