No announcement yet.

Dell Is Exploring The Use Of Coreboot, At Least Internally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I look forward to more vendors letting go of American Megatrends BIOS and friends in favour of coreboot. They don't even need to change their strategy toward microsoft or their consumer products team to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by GI_Jack View Post
      Do you want to know whats really bad ass? Team Win Recovery Project. Its basicly a FOSS bios for android devices.

Do you know what would be really bad ass? If we had something like TWRP for the x86 PC.

Think about it

coreboot + seabios + tianocore + decent configuration UI.
      TWRP is completely separate from boot loader, it's the recovery binary. Saying it's "basically a bios" is incorrect... but yes having an opensource coreboot payload like that would be pretty snazzy.

Comment

I really hope they do it. Never had a Dell before, but Coreboot would definitely change that!

Comment

I could not disagree more with the guy saying Dell has compatibility issues with Linux. Dell laptops are among the only laptops I've had (and the main reason I have been buying them for quite a while now) that are 100% compatible with Linux with pretty much no tweaking at all. My Vostro 5470 boots any Linux distro just fine, and installing them is a breeze. Even the backlight works fine. My new Inspiron 7460 also has awesome compatibility. Even the keyboard backlight and wifi work OOTB in pretty much any distro new enough to support them (they even ship laptops with Ubuntu, which is rare).

My old LG, Lenovos, ASUS and Acers on the other hand always had problems and required lots of tweaking to work (when they did).

Comment

It would be kinda cool if MS supported Coreboot in Windows 10 without another pre-boot bootloader. maybe Windows server and that's if we're lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by gQuigs View Post
              They also use coreboot on Chromebooks if I'm not mistaken.
              You mean SeaBIOS? I'm typing this from my Dell Chromebook 13 (running Solus Linux, and this is my main laptop btw) and it runs SeaBIOS.

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post
                I could not disagree more with the guy saying Dell has compatibility issues with Linux. Dell laptops are among the only laptops I've had (and the main reason I have been buying them for quite a while now) that are 100% compatible with Linux with pretty much no tweaking at all. My Vostro 5470 boots any Linux distro just fine, and installing them is a breeze. Even the backlight works fine. My new Inspiron 7460 also has awesome compatibility. Even the keyboard backlight and wifi work OOTB in pretty much any distro new enough to support them (they even ship laptops with Ubuntu, which is rare).

My old LG, Lenovos, ASUS and Acers on the other hand always had problems and required lots of tweaking to work (when they did).
                Same here. I've never had a Dell before last year, but that's when I bought this Dell Chromebook 13 to use as my main laptop. Immediately nuked ChromeOS and installed regular Linux on it (currently Solus). No problems at all, everything works OOTB, including keyboard backlight, WiFi... just everything. Dell rocks!

(the only tweak needed is to patch xkeyboard-config with the Chromebook layout patch, but that's very easy to do and is the only thing that needs to be tweaked, everything else works OOTB)

Comment

Don't get your hopes up too much. All the dell hardware I have uses its own customized bios, loves to include computrace and packages bios updates in an EXE. Linux support itself is pretty seamless though.

Comment

Originally posted by ForkHour View Post
                    [...]and packages bios updates in an EXE
                    Those EXE bios updates puzzled and almost upset me, especially because their BIOS(es) offers an internal (or should I say external) updater which let you bypass the OS.
                    I then found out (at my own risk) that by feeding that EXE to that BIOS updater (included in the BIOS UI) you can actually update the BIOS without using any OS.
                    I wasn't upset anymore but still puzzled.. why they don't offer on their website a pure image as well, or write some notes in the update release page explaining that using the EXE is fine??
                    I guess I'm still glad with their linux-friendly attitude, but in all fairness we possibly always want more and better.. especially when they just need to write proper release notes.
                    Last edited by horizonbrave; 26 March 2017, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X