Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post

I think this is it:

"Great news! A german forum member successfully tested ECC memory in ASUS Prime X370-Pro. It's fully functional! He overclocked the memory to produce errors and they were successfully detected":

Ah, good. A test that isn't just bullshit memtest. I like this approach.

I really hope this time AMD has sidestepped idiot OEMs and has the hardware itself decide if it should enable ECC or not.
    As in that forum they say there is no option in UEFI about that and there is also no official support.

Comment

Originally posted by LasseKongo View Post
      According to the specs and memory support list, the Gigabyte X370 Gaming K7 should support ECC http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/...g-K7-rev-10#sp
      I have one on order, but I only have non-ECC memory, so I canĀ“t test if it really works.
      Someone should shoot them a mail to ask if with that they mean ECC or if they mean "ECC bank in non-ECC mode". Because unbuffered ECC rams can also be used fine in PCs, in non-ECC mode.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post
        I think you missed the point. If I have to pay for an extra card, I could just buy the X370 instead. The point is that, after years of putting more and more SATA ports on mainboards, suddenly someone at AMD thinks that SATA isn't necessary anymore, and even more confusing, the mainboard manufacturers seem to roll with that.
        Lower-end mobos never had more than 6 Sata from chipset, usually 4 or less.

Asus B350 pro has 6 sata, you might want to check it out.

Comment

The point is that, after years of putting more and more SATA ports on mainboards, suddenly someone at AMD thinks that SATA isn't necessary anymore.
          Yeah, they think it's completely unnecessary, which is why they put 4 SATA ports on the chipset...
          FFS, quit exaggerating and whining. Most people buying B350 boards don't need more than 4 SATA ports, especially if they have an M.2 slot to use.

If I have to pay for an extra card, I could just buy the X370 instead.
          You could do that. Or, AMD could put more SATA ports on the B350 and the vast majority of folks would pay more for those boards for something they'll never use. Guess which scenario makes more sense...

Comment

I am very interested in buying a Ryzen CPU, most likely the R5 1600x, but I am very annoyed about the decisions they made with their chipsets regarding SATA ports. Do they really think that just because M.2 exists nobody needs SATA anymore? Do I really have to buy an X370 board just to get 6 SATA ports? So far I have not found a single B350 with more than 4 ports and that just isn't enough for me.
            the x370 boards should have 8 sata ports, and B350 boards should have 6, The Gigabyte AB350-Gaming 3 certainly has 6.

Comment

For a lot of us SATA is the dark ages! i have very few SATA drives even worth saving in a new build.

I think you missed the point. If I have to pay for an extra card, I could just buy the X370 instead. The point is that, after years of putting more and more SATA ports on mainboards, suddenly someone at AMD thinks that SATA isn't necessary anymore, and even more confusing, the mainboard manufacturers seem to roll with that.
              Last edited by wizard69; 12 March 2017, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

FFS, quit exaggerating and whining. Most people buying B350 boards don't need more than 4 SATA ports, especially if they have an M.2 slot to use.

the key thing here is more modern options for secondary store. We have M.2 and PCI Express storage option. SATA is the modern day SCSI.

Comment

Inquiry to which is the second PCI express slot?. You can do crossfire but not sli?.

Comment

I'll probably go the 1600x route once some decent ITX boards appear because I wish to make a compact desktop build with a vega card in it at some point, I have done SLI and Crossfire to death and its 100% not worth the trouble unless you play only 1 game and its completely supported, in which case your a windows user since dual card functionality under LINUX is pretty much dead IMO (never once got it to correctly work, the nightmares!)

The day DX12/Vulkan is just the defacto API and devs just do multiGPU without SLI/Crossfire is the day I will care again, unless I intend to do some sort of processing render work....but games, BIG NO.

Comment

Originally posted by cusa123 View Post
                      Inquiry to which is the second PCI express slot?. You can do crossfire but not sli?.
                      X370 chipsets support Crossfire and SLI, but B350 chipsets support neither Crossfire nor SLI, if you do run Crossfire or SLI on an x370 be advised that both slots run in x8 mode instead of x16 when it's doing so.

Comment

Working...
                      X