No announcement yet.

Fwupd Updated With New Support, Developer Endorses Dell For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The selection of Dells, especially the consumer notebooks, in my country is rather limited. Not only do we not get to customize the machine, Dell habitually refuses to put out an i7 processor on any of their Inspiron notebooks that is not 15" or larger. Dangit, I want an i7 kaby lake in an Inspiron 13.

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
      Does Dell produce any high-end laptops with AMD APUs? Something comparable to the HP Elitebook 755 series.
      Here's one with AMD GPU: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...ng_promo_code/

Comment

Running Ubuntu 16.10 on a Skylake based Inspiron 13" 7368. I've had minimal issues, the only part that is rough around the edges is the tablet mode.
        I've also ran Linux on a old XPS-210 and a Alienware 14 with great success which was one of the reasons I wanted to stick with the company.

The only criticism I have on Dell is support. The Alienware has a faulty 750m and their India based support ran me in circles until the warranty expired and told me tough 5h1t after the fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
          The selection of Dells, especially the consumer notebooks, in my country is rather limited. Not only do we not get to customize the machine, Dell habitually refuses to put out an i7 processor on any of their Inspiron notebooks that is not 15" or larger. Dangit, I want an i7 kaby lake in an Inspiron 13.
          Latest gen Core i7's are available on the 13" models (I have the Skylake one from last year).

Dell provides technology solutions, services & support. Buy Laptops, Touch Screen PCs, Desktops, Servers, Storage, Monitors, Gaming & Accessories

Comment

I'm not endorsing Dell for crap. I was first with an online chat support rep. trying to help an elderly Veteran unlock his BIOS Pass that he forgot and these idiots told me to call support, which I did, and Phone Support said the said Laptop didn't exist -- it did a moment ago with online support and via the info I had to type in to verify. I mean the Dell Logo on the Laptop and the Receipt the guy had was a dead giveaway. So I try to go back to their self-help pages but apparently they (online support) banned my IP, which was easily resolved by refreshing my IP address. So now this poor guy has a Paperweight.

I don't care what Dell has to offer in the form of Linux products, they will never get my business.

Comment

I can vouch for this. My Dell Chromebook 13 runs Linux (Solus and Arch) so well. It's very easy to install Linux on it and every single hardware thing is supported. Kudos to Dell for choosing such Linux-compatible hardware! I even got my dad to buy one and we put Solus on it as well (just like on his previous laptop) so we now both have a Dell CB13 with real Linux. Dell is doing good stuff for Linux in general!

Comment

Working...
              X