ASUS "Tinker Board" Powered By Rockchip ARM SoC, Supports Debian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    God... so much people that post without knowing the fuck they are talking about...
    You seem to misunderstand why people shit on mali.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
      That RK3288 CPU supports LPAE instruction or Large PAE, up to 8 GB adress space per process... just to mention that, in case someone think that everything is the same as 32bit x86, it is not

Everything is better (hardware wise) than RPi3 really on this board, of course price is also $20 more.

Other than price difference and "patch here patch there" technoligy, maybe we can only talk/complain about percentage of blobs per square mile i guess
      Hardware wise it is indeed... would be an insta buy if it software wise to.

On the other hand, I really really really like tweaking the os on such low-powered boards like the raspberry.

Comment

Originally posted by makoven View Post
        With closed proprietary version of uboot. Why do companies continue to produce these bastards?
        Wouldn't this be libreboot-able, since it's Rockchip ARM?

Comment

Originally posted by tmpdir View Post
          Hardware wise it is indeed... would be an insta buy if it software wise to.
          What to say - buy it and try it, probably works

Here you have docs and initial images of Debian and Kodi:

http://stw.asus.com/download/downloa...ge=en-ene&os=8

Or should i say TinkerOS... that is how they call it
          Last edited by dungeon; 24 January 2017, 12:36 AM.

Comment

If only the GPU driver was FLOSS... Until then, they can sit on their board.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

What to say - buy it and try it, probably works

Here you have docs and initial images of Debian and Kodi:

http://stw.asus.com/download/downloa...ge=en-ene&os=8

Or should i say TinkerOS... that is how they call it
              Thanks, actually the documentation is better then most stuff you can buy these days.... but....

Rockchip, Allwinner and MediaTek basically means, 6 months of binairy blobs get released, then nothing and you are done when you need to update your stuff. Not really worth it if you ask me.

Comment

Originally posted by tmpdir View Post

Thanks, actually the documentation is better then most stuff you can buy these days.... but....

Rockchip, Allwinner and MediaTek basically means, 6 months of binairy blobs get released, then nothing and you are done when you need to update your stuff. Not really worth it if you ask me.
                Really? https://github.com/rockchip-linux
                Bear in mind that the RK3288 is 2 years old (I got my Board long ago), and there is now Wayland support since a few months, and Vulkan support incoming (Rockchip employees show up in IRC regularly).

And the only blob there is the mali userspace driver, but thats ARMs decision.

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post

Which really makes no difference. All these 64 bit boards are A53 based which have far less IPC than the A17.
                  ARMv8 is better deigned, cleaner, more standardized and coherent than ARMv7.
                  So many distributions will be easier to run or port to SocS powered by ARMv8 than ARMv7.
                  So you can run upstream/mainline distributions like Debian, instead of have to run things like Raspbian with special custom kernels with additional out-of-tree patches.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
                    Really? https://github.com/rockchip-linux
                    Bear in mind that the RK3288 is 2 years old (I got my Board long ago), and there is now Wayland support since a few months, and Vulkan support incoming (Rockchip employees show up in IRC regularly).
                    Sounds nice. I really hate being blocked from upgrading because of proprietary stuff, or because of the lack of support.

Comment

Originally posted by willmore View Post
                      Which SBCs in this range have OpenGL?
                      rpi obviously
                      there is support in mesa for adreno, but i can't tell you which boards are supported. and recently there was committed support for vivante gpus, again i can't elaborate on boards.

Comment

Working...
                      X