No announcement yet.

ASUS "Tinker Board" Powered By Rockchip ARM SoC, Supports Debian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was in stock on cpc on Sunday and Monday morning I saw 19 pcs listed, others have reported more then 50..

I've found no real documentation of the board and no mention of it on Asus website.. And no download link for the software.
    Some have received it already: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMPOJH-okX

Comment

Originally posted by makoven View Post
      Another piece of crap with periphery attached directly to the processor, without the device bus. Without linux video drivers. With closed proprietary version of uboot. Why do companies continue to produce these bastards?
      I don't give a hoot about how the periphery is attached. The performance for the price is excellent, so I'm fine with that.

But you're absolutely right that proprietary drivers just don't make sense. It seems like most or all of the attempts at Pi competitors get half-hearted support from the vendors. Since the drivers aren't mainlined in the kernel, a year after release you can't upgrade your Linux release.

Comment

According to mainline Linux device tree most drivers are already mainlined, including HDMI, so I would not call that bad support. Also there is Kodi demo for similar board with same SoC.

Seems decent board, except micro USB power supply.

Comment

Originally posted by makoven View Post
          Another piece of crap with periphery attached directly to the processor, without the device bus. Without linux video drivers. With closed proprietary version of uboot. Why do companies continue to produce these bastards?
          Err, I run mainline u-boot on my Firefly RK3288 just fine, I run mainline Linux on it just fine (sans Mali DRM which I patched in).
          The RK3288 is in many Chromebooks, and the devs did upstream all additions and fixes.

Also, why do you care about a freaking device-bus? Its not like you gain anything from it.

The only thing that nags me, is the lack of Mali Drivers.

Comment

Note this is a 32-bit ARMv7 processor, not a modern 64-bit ARMv8 processor.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Note this is a 32-bit ARMv7 processor, not a modern 64-bit ARMv8 processor.
              Most of the times, it's a perfect match at just 2GB of RAM.

Comment

God... so much people that post without knowing the fuck they are talking about...

Comment

*patches sent by a Rockchip engineer, using a Rockchip company email address.

For those that whine about lack of support.

Comment

It's not that expensive if it comes with wi-fi and bluetooth (The RPi3 costs $35, yeah, bu that's for the board only). It's surely faster than the RPi 3 too. The A17 is in a whole other league as the A53 cores of teh RPi 3, plus it's clocked at 1.8GHz versus just 1.2GHz of the RPi 3. Should be cool for emulators and stuff giver the much better CPU and GPU (if 3D acceleration is available, of course).

Also, Gigabit ethernet should make this guy a very, very nice NAS, even if you can only connect USB 2.0 devices to it. 480Mbps is still much better than the 100mbps that the RPi3 is capable of.

Comment

Working...
                    X