No announcement yet.

Librecore: Aiming To Be A Better Libre Spin Of Coreboot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael, can you please stop censoring my posts on this thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I never mentioned in the article that the two projects were anything but independent projects of each other?

So are you saying Pearson isn't a librecore developer or what?
      First line in the article: "Librecore is a new project formed out of the cataclysm within Libreboot in recent months."

Comment

Originally posted by libreleah View Post
        Michael, can you please stop censoring my posts on this thread?
        No posts are ever 'censored' on Phoronix. With you being a new user, all new users have their first 5 posts moderated to go through spam queue to ensure it's not a spam bot registering.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

yes, sorry. please disregard my censorship comment.

Comment

Just for the record, the KGPE-D16 development contract was to release and upstream the KGPE-D16 functionality listed here:

https://www.raptorengineering.com/co...d16-status.php

Raptor went above and beyond this by adding support for new RAM modules, fixing various defects in components not listed in that table, and providing automated test services to ensure the board continued to function correctly, all at no additional charge. Raptor is strongly committed to the satisfaction of our clients, and this is the first time we have ever had a complaint even after going above and beyond to make sure our client (Minifree) and their customers were fully satisfied with the port. In exchange for this additional support and service, we had hoped that Minifree would honor their contracts and maybe even have some positive things to say about Raptor's consulting services. Sadly they did not.

Raptor remains committed to libre systems and libre software, and have simply shifted to the higher end POWER systems where libre software remains viable. We cannot support the general community at the price points desired due to lack of the necessary silicon, a problem plaguing all hardware vendors at this time, even though we recognize a vibrant community is vital to the long term success of libre software.

EDIT: In response to the assertions regarding the KCMA-D8, Rowe does not have the knowledge required to comment on our internal development processes, including time taken, cost, and effort expended. A quick glance at the coreboot GIT repository will show that the KCMA-D8 was not just a simple port of the mainboard files, there was core logic that needed modification and new DDR3 initialization work that needed to be done. The quoted amount is fully in line with industry norms for this type of work.
            Last edited by madscientist159; 19 January 2017, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Hi Leah,

Is there still intention to pay the unpaid contract?

So much for libreboot being dead, eh?
              Your definition of dead might differ from most. Your repository may still be used but whether or not the people contributing to the project called "libreboot" would be considered safe to work with (in that you won't humiliate them or overstep your bounds) is probably another discussion. I don't have the knowledge or expertise to work on something quite that low-level but if I did work on that repository, I would certainly pack my bags immediately and hope nobody realizes my association with the project. I can understand why funfunctor would be upset about the association.

That said, funfunctor clearly seems like a bit of an asshole themselves when there is only one potentially misleading line in the whole article conflating the two projects.

I think everyone can appreciate your work. But after a nuclear blast, that land is pretty much desolate for a good amount of time.

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post

First line in the article: "Librecore is a new project formed out of the cataclysm within Libreboot in recent months."
                Yes in terms of all the events leading up to the creation of librecore... At least how portrayed by Pearson madscientist159 unless he has differing views from funfunctor . Pearson pointing out Librecore was the first time I ever heard of the project.
                Michael Larabel

Comment

I never mentioned in the article that the two projects were anything but independent projects of each other?

So are you saying Pearson isn't a librecore developer or what?
                  Michael, "Librecore is a new project formed out of the cataclysm within Libreboot in recent months." that pretty clearly conflates the two in a unmistakable way.

Pearson is *one* community member, if you wanted clarity of the project than you should have ask *us*.

Comment

Yes in terms of all the events leading up to the creation of librecore... At least how portrayed by Pearson madscientist159 unless he has differing views from funfunctor . Pearson pointing out Librecore was the first time I ever heard of the project.
                    I was involved in the beginning of librecore, and honestly we all came for various reasons. My personal motive was to create a better blob-free firmware stack than the one libreboot offered, and to make it easier to both work with upstream coreboot and to hack on librecore itself. Others' motives were probably similar, but it is possible others wanted more of a complete restart from stock coreboot, and I may have inadvertently overstepped by mentioning libreboot in this context at all. My main motive was to show that there is in fact a truly community driven, blob-free firmware coming up soon, and that we shouldn't "throw the baby out with the bathwater" when it comes to libre-friendly hardware and libre firmware.

Comment

Originally posted by funfunctor View Post

Michael, "Librecore is a new project formed out of the cataclysm within Libreboot in recent months." that pretty clearly conflates the two in a unmistakable way.

Pearson is *one* community member, if you wanted clarity of the project than you should have ask *us*.
                      Happy to change that sentence to avoid confusion.

Is there any other information aside from the Git repository or the one-page website? Or a list of who "us" is in terms of like the official leads? The way Pearson portrayed it in the emails to me today made it sound like he had some authority within the project.
                      Michael Larabel

Comment

Working...
                      X