No announcement yet.

Librecore: Aiming To Be A Better Libre Spin Of Coreboot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find this whole Coreboot/Libreboot/Librecore farce frankly embarrassing. I can't even begin to express my feelings regarding the amount polarisation that goes on here. Every story has 2 sides, and there's no point in pretending either one is backed by THE TRUTH. The only thing there is are simply two opposing points of view. Can you please get into a room together and come to at least a mutually accepted and respected disagreement? I humbly offer my services as a mediator if anyone would be crazy enough for embarking on such a mission of, god forbid, reconciliation. I would even do this for free (and I am not joking).

Comment

Originally posted by Davidovitch View Post

I don't know if it just me, but....pot, kettle?

For someone not caring about LGBT you seem to care a lot. I am sick an tired of having to read that Rowe is being placed in the LGBT box. Can we please focus on the non-personal stuff here?

It is as valid a position as any other, and one I actually understand and appreciate. However, I would also argue that it is likely (sorry, generalizing here) you are a white heterosexual man who has never been exposed to any kind of -ism (sexism, racism, LGBT-ism, or otherwise). If you have been exposed to such things, I apologize on beforehand for generalising. You can simply not grasp what being exposed to an -ism actually does with you, and that is actually a good thing! I don't think anyone wishes such treatment to anybody. So although I wholeheartedly agree with your Political correctness be damned position from a principle point of view, I have come to the conclusion that from a practical point of view that we, in some area's related to -ism's, need to be mindful about what the impact of our jokes and comments are. Because they ain't harmless, ask those who are really affected by any -ism treatment.
      Oh come on, unless you're very young you should know all too well how "nerds" have up until recently always been social outcasts.

I for instance was frequently bullied as a kid but I'm not going around complaining about it to get special treatment, holding yourself back because you think you're unfairly treated doesn't help you one bit. I didn't let bullying stop me from pursuing my dreams, but apparently that's the situation many people claim to be in.

I'm pretty sure that's why us "nerds" don't buy all this "I'm being held back by society" stuff. If you want to make it you'll find a way, if not you'll make excuses.

Comment

Originally posted by Djhg2000 View Post
        Oh come on, unless you're very young you should know all too well how "nerds" have up until recently always been social outcasts.
        I am 35, so sure, that is young. I have never been an outcast of any kind, and I consider myself one of the types I was referring too: white, heterosexual and extremely privileged from that perspective. I've had to work hard to get where I am now, but still, I consider myself very privileged indeed.

I for instance was frequently bullied as a kid but I'm not going around complaining about it to get special treatment, holding yourself back because you think you're unfairly treated doesn't help you one bit. I didn't let bullying stop me from pursuing my dreams, but apparently that's the situation many people claim to be in.
        I am very sorry to hear that. Then you know all to well what it is to be marginalized, and how profoundly it will affect your live and your personality. No one deserves to have to go through something like that, and I think it is very brave when people stand up and raise their voice that such behaviour is unacceptable. Sometimes that requires even more courage than to just swallow it and get on with life. What can possible be wrong with that? I don't believe the bullies are allowed to get away with it. We should be careful not to turn the victim into the perpetrator.

I was also not stopped by borderline poverty to pursue my dreams, but that kind of strength and attitude is not always a given for whatever underlying reason. Now I chose to be humane and I try to support those who might not have the same strength and/or the same luck and privileges. For me that is a very deliberate choice, and you and anyone else is free to make another stand on this. But then let us be clear about it and cut out all the intermediate crap: if you think people are not allowed to speak up and "wine" about the hardship they are enduring because "boy did I had a hard time and I managed so why can't you?", well then lets agree to disagree. Call me a soft naive communist/lefty or whatever makes you feel better, I simply disagree, fundamentally. And you know what, that is absolutely fine. I won't chase you down and smash your skull, simply because we have a different opinion. I expect you to have the same level or respect for me.

I'm pretty sure that's why us "nerds" don't buy all this "I'm being held back by society" stuff. If you want to make it you'll find a way, if not you'll make excuses.
        I consider myself a nerd and don't think there is anything to buy in here, life just isn't that simple. Make no mistake, I have a pretty clear picture of where I stand on this, and yes, for me that is also political. I do not expect any random person to be able to just grind through the hardship. If you do, then you've got my deepest respect. If you chose to speak up (or make excuses, or wine, or whatever you want to call it) I'll try to support you by acknowledging that what you feel as hardship is real and deserves respect too. Even if I believe I would be able to handle it better.

Comment

Working...
        X