X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• energyman
    replied
    Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    Personally, would recommend against a ATI based board, but given from the choice of boards you listed I would have to say go with the foxconn. Biostar and Jetway don't have real great quality control, ASRock is Asus's budget brand, and MSI has a history of really cruddy BIOS's.
    Asrock boards are fine. They lack in overclocking features - but their quality is very good. Even better than some 'quality brands'. Also there is nothing wrong with AMD/ATI Sata.

Leave a comment:

• Nighthog
    replied
    You returned your GA-MA78GM-S2H in vain, the 84C chipset temp is wrong/fake, it's no where close to that temperature in reality. Hell it's impossible to my knowledge to get it below 84C in the reading, I never managed and it reached whopping 127C maxxed out in my computer under 100% load whit no problem. Whit extra cooling etc I managed to keep the max temp in the 110s, but the noise wasn't worth it and as I knew the reading was fake anyway I just kept it whitout any special cooling(I didn't burn my fingers that badly on the cooler even when it supposedly was 127C+ >_>; (could keep it about 3secs and fingers where just hot and no irritation or problems afterwards. you would normally burn badly at something at 100C+ whit just touching it!)). had the computer running 5 months until the rev1.0 board got fried for another reason (not because off the "85C or 127C" chipset temp. my Phenom X4 9750 fried the mosfet on the board for some reason when I got hangs on the comp and decided to press the reboot button which gave instant fried burning mosfett anyone? It smells lovely to cause instant cancer! >_>; ). Fried another rev1.1 GA-MA78GM-S2H aswell about a month later in same way as the rev1.0.
    Got then a GA-MA78GPM-DS2H rev1.0 as a replacement and this board reports that chipset temperature correctly actually! I have it at 46C right now in idle whit a fan somewhat blowing at it and it reached 70-75C under 100% load. It kept at 50-57C marks when I had no fan to blow on it I think in idle. It's not hot at all. Can if I want keep my hand on it all day... if anything you should be more worried about the mossfets on these motherboards than anything else.

Though there is a problem whit having 4Gb or more memory on this motherboard whit linux stuff. same problem existed whit the GA-MA78GM-S2H rev1.0 and 1.1. It just won't work as far as I can tell. (I've had no luck whit this)

Leave a comment:

• godofinternet
    replied
    well i am using the same board with 500 gb sata harddrive and sata dvdwriter i never faced this issue... initially my hardrive was bad i taught it was my mobo... however on checking it was the harddrive i got the drive replaced so no problem since then...

Leave a comment:

• xenios
    replied
    @ godofinternet: appreciate the thought.

@ deanjo: thanks for the info about godofinternet's workaround.

As to the MB, I took it back to the place I bought it from; its local. As it turned out, the board had an I/O glitch. I decided to go with the Foxconn A7GM-S and it works great.

The only minor issue I have now isn't with the MB; heh, its with Adobe's flash for Linux. Full-screen HD or DVD videos work fine, but online, full-screen video doesn't play too well. In XP its like watching TV. My workaround is running XP in VirtualBox... I was surprised to find flash videos play much better in virtual XP than natively in Linux. Nope, not quite the same as native XP, but close enough to enjoy watching.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by godofinternet View Post
    ok buddy since u have a ide drive, do the following in bios to fix ur issue....
    first upgrade your bios to the latest 1010 version then disable on chip sata in bios... disable it only if u have an ide drive not sata.... since you told you have ide so disable the onchip sata and then reboot your comp install xp and enjoy////
    Won't work

1 ) His optical drive is Sata
    2 ) Even if his optical drive was PATA, running you HD and Optical drive on the same channel is a dumb idea. Performance killer. His motherboard only has 1 IDE channel.

Leave a comment:

• godofinternet
    replied
    ok buddy since u have a ide drive, do the following in bios to fix ur issue....
    first upgrade your bios to the latest 1010 version then disable on chip sata in bios... disable it only if u have an ide drive not sata.... since you told you have ide so disable the onchip sata and then reboot your comp install xp and enjoy////

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by xenios View Post
    Which will leave me open for a new MB. Any thoughts on the following list? Aside from Gigabyte and Asus, they're the other mATXs with the onboard Radeon HD3200 graphics. I'm leaning toward one of the first two.

I'm inclined to go with Foxconn because they've got the coolest running NB of all these boards. Though they had a Linux issue with their BIOS, there's a posted workaround as well as an upgraded BIOS version. That said, I'm still open to any info/suggestions. Thanks.

MSI K9A2GM-FIH
    Foxconn A7GM-S
    BIOSTAR TForce TA780G M2+HP
    ASRock A780FullDisplayPort
    JetWay JPA78M4H-LF
    Personally, would recommend against a ATI based board, but given from the choice of boards you listed I would have to say go with the foxconn. Biostar and Jetway don't have real great quality control, ASRock is Asus's budget brand, and MSI has a history of really cruddy BIOS's.

Leave a comment:

• xenios
    replied
    Thanks for the info and support link, Deanjo. I reset the PnP back to 'No' as suggested and when I booted to the OS (Kubuntu 8.04), the screen had a 640x480 res. Fiddled with the OS and the buttons on the monitor (reset, etc) but nothing worked. Changed the PnP BIOS setting back to Yes and its working again with the correct resolution (1680x1050). Also tried the 'old' PartedMagic and Knoppix CDs with the Yes setting and they worked, too... guess I was wrong about needing newer software with newer hardware. Maybe the default setting (BIOS handles all devices) expects to see Vista and messes things up for any other OS? Whatever it is with this board, I found a few others who posted about the same XP/OS problem.

I think its reasonable to expect a new board to work with a simple setup like mine. I don't know how to troubleshoot a MB and have neither the time nor the inclination to do Asus' job for them. I'm returning this board tomorrow.

Which will leave me open for a new MB. Any thoughts on the following list? Aside from Gigabyte and Asus, they're the other mATXs with the onboard Radeon HD3200 graphics. I'm leaning toward one of the first two.

I'm inclined to go with Foxconn because they've got the coolest running NB of all these boards. Though they had a Linux issue with their BIOS, there's a posted workaround as well as an upgraded BIOS version. That said, I'm still open to any info/suggestions. Thanks.

MSI K9A2GM-FIH
    Foxconn A7GM-S
    BIOSTAR TForce TA780G M2+HP
    ASRock A780FullDisplayPort
    JetWay JPA78M4H-LF

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by xenios View Post
    Main > SATA Configuration

OnChip SATA Channel - Enabled
    OnChip SATA Type - SATA
    SATA IDE Combined Mode - Enabled

Deanjo, with an IDE drive I didn't think I'd need the advanced features of AHCI; there's only one HD and its a desktop setup. Also, the above are the default settings. Since reading your question and looking around, I found a comment about XP needing the AHCI setting for it to function correctly. Is that the problem?

Another setting which may/may not have an impact on this:

Advanced Settings > PCI/PnP

Plug and Play O/S - Yes

Default was No but I changed it to Yes. The No setting lets the BIOS configure all the devices. Yes lets the OS configure the devices not required to boot the OS. I thought Yes would be a better choice for Linux and changed it after experiencing the problem with booting XP. Is Yes the best/appropriate setting for a dual boot?
    No on a ATI chipset you definiately want to leave the the OnChip SATA Type set to SATA. AHCI on AMD chipsets is buggy as hell. As far as Plug and Play O/S I would recommend setting it back to no. Now since your harddrive sounds like a PATA drive, I would definately recommend checking that the jumpers on it are set for "Master" and not "cable select". There also have been a few BIOS updates for your machine anda couple of them address controller issues so check to make sure your running the latest.

If all else fails I would also suggest trying to set SATA IDE Combined Mode - Disabled as combined mode has a history of causing drives to vanish in earlier kernel history.

And there is one more thing, try new cables. It does not take much for a cable to go bad.

Leave a comment:

• xenios
    replied
    Main > SATA Configuration

OnChip SATA Channel - Enabled
    OnChip SATA Type - SATA
    SATA IDE Combined Mode - Enabled

Deanjo, with an IDE drive I didn't think I'd need the advanced features of AHCI; there's only one HD and its a desktop setup. Also, the above are the default settings. Since reading your question and looking around, I found a comment about XP needing the AHCI setting for it to function correctly. Is that the problem?

Another setting which may/may not have an impact on this:

Advanced Settings > PCI/PnP

Plug and Play O/S - Yes

Default was No but I changed it to Yes. The No setting lets the BIOS configure all the devices. Yes lets the OS configure the devices not required to boot the OS. I thought Yes would be a better choice for Linux and changed it after experiencing the problem with booting XP. Is Yes the best/appropriate setting for a dual boot?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X