Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coreboot Is Being Ported To A New Intel Skylake-Y System

Phoronix: Coreboot Is Being Ported To A New Intel Skylake-Y System

Those wishing to use Coreboot on a modern Intel system (albeit with the closed-source FSP) will soon have another option to consider with an open-source, physically secure computer powered by a Skylake-Y SoC moving ahead with a port to Coreboot...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Must be an absolute bitch to upgrade...

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
      Must be an absolute bitch to upgrade...
      Meh, disk cloning isn't an exoteric technology of the future.

Anyway, this is an embedded system, there is nothing to upgrade in there. Only the SSD is removable.

Comment

I would love to see Coreboot support for the Dell XPS "Project Sputnik" laptop.

Comment

Isn't security on the Intel platform basically a myth as long as the MEI exists?

Comment

Originally posted by Theriverlethe View Post
            Isn't security on the Intel platform basically a myth as long as the MEI exists?
            Color me intrigued. What are you hinting at?

Comment

I'm not hinting at anything. It appears that every modern computer comes equipped with a backdoor that the user cannot disable or even firewall from the user's operating system, regardless of whether the user has any need or desire for such a feature.

Comment

Pricing on this "secure" computer starts out at $699 USD.
                Seems Michael has got some obvious idea:

like other modern Intel systems will rely upon the closed-source FSP (Firmware Support Package). While the binary blob from Intel is a disappointment, at least Coreboot will be running on another modern system.
                This implies its nowhere close to being "secure". Paying $700 for security snake oil? Hardly best deal ever. I guess it runs Management Engine and so on. So ppl could forget about security whatsoever. If Intel does not releases source, it is likely they've got something to hide. And past experience with proprietary software suggests it tends to be something nasty. IMHO one should be terminally dumb to pay $700 for Intel ME "secure" backdoors.

Comment

I'm not hinting at anything. It appears that every modern computer comes equipped with a backdoor that the user cannot disable or even firewall from the user's operating system, regardless of whether the user has any need or desire for such a feature.
                  This only applies to Intel and their x86. To less degree to AMD and their recent APUs, running some nasty "security" ARM processor. Say on most ARM SBCs one could get quite decent level of control over system and no other code would get in the way.

Comment

https://www.google.com/amp/www.netwo...ngine&hl=en-us

Why do you keep putting URLs using google as preffix? :P

Comment

Working...
                    X