Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptor Engineering Updates Details On Their POWER8-Based Talos Secure Workstation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
    I think beside this "Secure" bs the biggest issue will be the CPU TDP. 130-190W kind of reminds me of the Pentium4 days when you had to install a fan capable of giving near turbine cfm's to keep it cool...
    It's not like intel are not producing 165W CPUs today.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post

​So, you believe adding USB and SATA really drove the price up?

Also, good luck getting boot time video from a random video card. VESA BIOS are all in x86 machine code.
      It oobviously took good number of workhours which drove price into stratosphere.

WRT to video card, uvesafb uses v86d, wwhich is miniature x86 emulator for just that purpose- executing bits of x86 code in controlled environment.

Last edited by Brane215; 29 April 2016, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by darkblu View Post

It's not like intel are not producing 165W CPUs today.
        Sure. If you count CPU's with 18 cores and 36 threads meant for server loads as "Desktop", then absolutely.
        I'd prefer something without the energy consumption of a red-hot furnace in hell

Comment

How much is the thing with 12 core CPU? They say only price for 8 core.

Comment

Why not ddr4?

Comment

Sure. If you count CPU's with 18 cores and 36 threads meant for server loads as "Desktop", then absolutely.
              I'd prefer something without the energy consumption of a red-hot furnace in hell
              Go look at the benchmarking article - performance is equal to an i7-5960X, which has a 140W TDP.
              Or just read the title - this is a workstation, not a web-browsing terminal.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHerne View Post

Go look at the benchmarking article - performance is equal to an i7-5960X, which has a 140W TDP.
                Or just read the title - this is a workstation, not a web-browsing terminal.
                The problem is that if you want to do work Power is out of the question. Many commercial SW products are x86 and in some cases not even linux compatible.

Really cool machine nevertheless.

Comment

The price of this exceeds the value of everything I own (which isn't much) but it sounds like it would be a good ultra-secure video editing workstation with Kdenlive and a Nouveau/blobless capable nvidia card like the old GTS450 I have on a shelf. Yes, Kdenlive can now make use of the GPU. Just imagine trying to track the source of a video communique for a prison escape produced on such a workstation and published by a cutout using a one-time burnphone.

Comment

Anything above 145W TDP they classify as workstation. Comes in at 12 Cores, 3,0Ghz (+500mhz Turbo).http://ark.intel.com/products/91750/...Cache-3_00-GHz

Comment

Originally posted by stalkerg View Post
                      Why not ddr4?
                      Power8 doesn't have the right controller. The power9 refresh should though.

Comment

Working...
                      X