Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptor Engineering Updates Details On Their POWER8-Based Talos Secure Workstation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptor Engineering Updates Details On Their POWER8-Based Talos Secure Workstation

Phoronix: Raptor Engineering Updates Details On Their POWER8-Based Talos Secure Workstation

Raptor Engineering has published new information around their proposed high-performance Talos Secure Workstation that for around $3k is a high-end POWER8 motherboard...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why does it have internal usb3 rather than usb3 headers? Also that onboard lacks DisplayPort but has HDMI. Seems like an odd choice considering the market they are aiming for.
    Last edited by SpyroRyder; 29 April 2016, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post
      Why does it have internal usb3 rather than usb3 headers? Also that onboard lacks DisplayPort but has HDMI. Seems like an odd choice considering the market they are aiming for.
      They are trying for open everything. Finding a simple 2D video card / chip that meets the requirements is pretty difficult. What would you have picked?

Comment

Hmmm. Where exactly is the value in this thing ? I like POWER ( on paper, specs and reports are all I saw), but not enough for that much of price premium for single-socket motherboard.

And BTW, if I were shooting for open MoBo, I'd go for simplest possible system without any periphery besides bunch of PCIe connectors.

User would get cheap MoBo that s/he could maximally customize and development cycle could be good deal shorter on that account.

Comment

Did they find a solution to the proprietary firmware for high end GPUs?
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
            Did they find a solution to the proprietary firmware for high end GPUs?
            Not for radeons, but all nvidia Kepler series cards and older require no firmware blobs for 3D acceleration with nouveau. (Including the GTX Titan (Z), 780 (Ti) and Quadro K6000)

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
              Hmmm. Where exactly is the value in this thing ? I like POWER ( on paper, specs and reports are all I saw), but not enough for that much of price premium for single-socket motherboard.

And BTW, if I were shooting for open MoBo, I'd go for simplest possible system without any periphery besides bunch of PCIe connectors.

User would get cheap MoBo that s/he could maximally customize and development cycle could be good deal shorter on that account.
              ​So, you believe adding USB and SATA really drove the price up?

Also, good luck getting boot time video from a random video card. VESA BIOS are all in x86 machine code.

Comment

I think beside this "Secure" bs the biggest issue will be the CPU TDP. 130-190W kind of reminds me of the Pentium4 days when you had to install a fan capable of giving near turbine cfm's to keep it cool...

Comment

Wonder what practical use you would have out of it. Can you run Apache -> Owncloud on it? Emulate x86 software?

Comment

Originally posted by Kendji View Post
                    Wonder what practical use you would have out of it. Can you run Apache -> Owncloud on it?
                    You can run natively almost whatever free software you are currently using on Linux.

Emulate x86 software?
                    Yes, but it will be slow.
                    ## VGA ##
                    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Working...
                    X