MSI B150M Mortar: A Budget Skylake Motherboard For Linux Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eggbert View Post

Yeah, I know there are some "non-gamer" boards, but the pickings are slim. I don't need server/workstation grade hardware, but I would like to have higher quality PC components that don't have the word "GAMING" plastered all over. Most of this stuff looks like it's designed to appeal to kids and/or the mentally retarded.

I can't even find a decent non-gaming cherry switch keyboard that doesn't light up like a christmas tree.
    The problem is the overwhelming vast majority of the DIY computer market is the gaming community. People that just need a PC go out and buy one pre assembled. As has been mentioned the other big segment is the workstation market and even here customers often pay someone to assemble the machine. So in a sense the majority of the market is in fact 8-14 year olds.

Comment

+1 for the "spending more money on keyboard than on motherboard" crowd

I'm using Razer and CoolerMaster TKL keyboards, although I think Razer replaced the Cherry switches with their own design last year.
      Test signature

Comment

My question would be about the level of control from Linux with this motherboard:
        1. do you have any control over the "LED ambient lights" advertised? Can they be switched on/off from BIOS? Do they appear in /sys/class/leds/ ?
        2. the same as above for the 3 PWM connectors (1 for CPU, 2 for case fans)? Do linux tools detect them? pwmconfig, sensors?

Comment

Working...
        X