The First Skylake Motherboard To Fail Me: Goes Kaput After Just 4 Months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

Everyone and their dog knows that the BMC of ANY fucking board is full of holes and backdoors because the manufacturers are retards. (Hp and dell are well-known for their holes and backdoors too, dunno about tyan) There is a reason most decent admins never ever let a server on the internet on its own.
    I guess is is quite hard to put backdoor if you're retard, no? And then... don't you mind BMC/ME could do e.g. DMA?

If we imagine I'm attacking and I'm pretty serious about pwning you via BMC firmware I write, I would do e.g. memscan from time to time in my firmware, seeking for some distinct pattern telling it likely a control packet. Once found, you can parse control packet and do whatever it tells to. It is not even big deal how this control packet appeared in memory. Be it file in buffer or network packet - who really cares? When these pests will get idea (hint, hint, lets pwn "decent admins" as well, they are interesting targets!), I wonder how they are going to explain it. Advanced Driver/OS Independent Wake On Lan bugz? XD
    Last edited by SystemCrasher; 29 March 2016, 05:37 AM.

Comment

@Michael

Did you try this:

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

If the board has 3 year warranty and solid caps, it is no roulette. There is no sense to invest to production lines and produce shit and loose market reputation. I sold my previous A8-7600 pc because I wanted a larger ssd. This new machine has also asus a8xxm-e and A8-7600. My kid plays with asus a88xm-e too. No intel for budget desktop pc.
        You ever actually try to take advantage of those supposed " 3 year warranties"? You have more patience than me. Consumer mobo companies are staffed by the most unskilled morons imaginable.

Maybe I am spoiled because when I worked for a place where we bought enterprise grade hardware, all we had to do was call up and tell them to send a replacement part and it was a done deal. Usually they never even asked for the old parts back. I know that's asking too much for a consumer grade hardware company to give the same level of service. But at the very least it shouldn't be a painful experience.

Comment

Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
          I guess is is quite hard to put backdoor if you're retard, no?
          Retarded is the decision to put backdoors, I didn't call retarded the programmers (although the code isn't terribly high-quality anyway).

If we imagine I'm attacking and I'm pretty serious about pwning you via BMC firmware I write
          They aren't "evulz", they are just stupid. The backdoors aren't for NSA or something, but for their own techs or for their softwares to unlock the boards, or to remotely fix things or whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by SystemCrasher View Post
            Hell yeah, really great vendor, who is known by the fact they have put backdoor into their BMC. Oh, "engineering password" they call it. What a good company.
            this is x9sra w/o bmc. So from this point of view this should be safe -- minus Intel stuff on the board of course...

Comment

Originally posted by eggbert View Post

You ever actually try to take advantage of those supposed " 3 year warranties"? You have more patience than me. Consumer mobo companies are staffed by the most unskilled morons imaginable.
              Local law must enforce it or you are out of luck. It's 2 years here. Third year - going to be your own problem if and how you are going to get it.

Some manufacturers do deal with consumers directly (SeaSonic, Corsair), some outsource their repair works (Asus), some only use middle-men and want to avoid end-users completely. In the latter case, you'd be out of luck. In the middle case it depends - you might be guided into firm that does repair jobs going under warranty and discover they are 100% immigrants and you need to speak Turkish or Russian to be understood (they arent selling shit so they do not have to speak local language by law generally)..

Comment

Working...
              X