Preliminary Specifications Revised For The Talos Secure Workstation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preliminary Specifications Revised For The Talos Secure Workstation

Phoronix: Preliminary Specifications Revised For The Talos Secure Workstation

For those interested in the Talos Workstation libre system, the preliminary specifications have been revised...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, I think it's cool. For people that want firmware they can trust on a modern CPU platform, it seems like just the right thing. But the specs have some strangeness. RS232 ports? Really? If you need those types of ports, then it's most likely you could get away with using an old Pentuim 2 or so. Not exactly something targeted at a modern desktop. I guess it just goes to show the heritage of the platform. Since it never got long term widespread adoption, the platform designers have obviously struggled to come to terms with what a modern desktop needs.

EDIT: Honestly, I wouldn't change the price too much. Those people that are going to buy it, will buy it because of their needs. That 100 bucks isn't going to change many peoples buying decisions. Your just losing out on a 100 bucks per sale is all.
    Last edited by duby229; 14 February 2016, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Oh good. For a moment I was afraid the article would actually highlight the updates. But we're safe.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        Well, I think it's cool. For people that want firmware they can trust on a modern CPU platform, it seems like just the right thing. But the specs have some strangeness. RS232 ports? Really? If you need those types of ports, then it's most likely you could get away with using an old Pentuim 2 or so. Not exactly something targeted at a modern desktop. I guess it just goes to show the heritage of the platform.
        Wrong : RS232 is essential for hardware development, and many people I know go through a lot of trouble to find a good quality USB-RS232 converter. (or to output pins from the MB).

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
          Wrong : RS232 is essential for hardware development, and many people I know go through a lot of trouble to find a good quality USB-RS232 converter. (or to output pins from the MB).
          That's fair I'm sure. The last time I seen those types of ports being used was an ancient print farm I replaced. Just because I haven't seen them for so long doesn't mean there isn't still uses for them I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
            I think he also mistakes RS232 (the communication protocol) with the port on the old PCs that would talk RS232. An honest mistake imho

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I think he also mistakes RS232 (the communication protocol) with the port on the old PCs that would talk RS232. An honest mistake imho
              Yeah, I took a bit of time to read some about it, there are still lots of chipsets that use rs232 pinouts. Nowadays it seems mostly useful hacking chipsets. In which case a modern computer will be a major benefit. I was definitely wrong. I should have read up on it before I commented.

Comment

IIs there a big-endian mode? As a C programmer, a big-endian workstation would be helpful as a way to shake out endianness-related bugs in my code.

Comment

someone should tell them that hdmi is consumer electronics display interface, current computer display interface is displayport

Comment

Originally posted by MaxToTheMax View Post
                    IIs there a big-endian mode? As a C programmer, a big-endian workstation would be helpful as a way to shake out endianness-related bugs in my code.
                    POWER8 supports both. You can either run a big endian or a little endian OS on it.

Comment

Working...
                    X