Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell Moves Forward With Firmware Updating On Linux

Phoronix: Dell Moves Forward With Firmware Updating On Linux

Dell is moving forward with offering natively UEFI firmware flashing from the Linux desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Very nice to see them take initiative for something so worthwhile.

Comment

Too late. Nowadays we can flash straight from UEFI, thus making the OS irrelevant.
      This could be useful when your connection requires authentication or goes through some proxy, but the days when if you couldn't boot into Windows meant you couldn't update the BIOS are gone.

Comment

I might consider getting a Dell (partly) because of this... I wish the other manufacturers working on it would be more public about it. I'm in the market to buy a new computer/motherboard soon and easy updates would certainly be a bonus.

Not having to ever deal with motherboard manufacturers bad/slow download websites again would certainly be ok (and not having to check them on a regular basis).

Comment

What about not having UEFI at all? Linux does not need UEFI. Nobody to my knowledge needs UEFI. What is a network stack running on lowest ring good for? I can't see any benefit for the user.
          Why not have Coreboot instead. I value any engagement in terms of Linux, so it's a nice step that Dell is doing something, but why not do it right from the start?
          Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
            What about not having UEFI at all? Linux does not need UEFI. Nobody to my knowledge needs UEFI. What is a network stack running on lowest ring good for? I can't see any benefit for the user.
            Why not have Coreboot instead.
            coreboot has its own uefi and network stack

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
              What is a network stack running on lowest ring good for? I can't see any benefit for the user.
              Network booting isn't a new concept. It's been done for decades.

Comment

Apple can even do an operating system install off the network, onto a blank drive. Very neat.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  coreboot has its own uefi and network stack
                  No, coreboot's only purpose is to initialize the hardware and pass control to a payload. While an UEFI payload does exist for coreboot (Tianocore IIRC) coreboot itself normally is paired with SeaBIOS, GRUB, or a Linux kernel (for example, Petitboot). No UEFI or network needed at all. ;-)

Comment

I've actually been very very very pleased that my Venue 11 Pro (which I've been happily running Antergos on for a little over a year) was able to do firmware updates directly from the UEFI using the binaries hosted on Dell's website -- was afraid I'd have needed Windows for that. This at least makes the process more user friendly.

Comment

Working...
                    X