Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deanjo
    replied
    So it turns out that the "Foxconn" conspiracy was actually AMI's fault with their reference BIOS. The same issue has been found on MSI and Asus boards as well.
    Foxconn Does Hate Linux Support
    Myth busted.

Last edited by deanjo; 07 August 2008, 03:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• yoshi314
    replied
    cool, looks like somebody actually cared.

Leave a comment:

• NeoBrain
    replied
    Just for anyone who doesn't read /. regularly
    Hello every enthusiasts on Linux, My name is Heart Zhang from Foxconn China, these days I and another Foxconn guy in UK names Carl Brunning contacted Ryan Farmer with each other at all times by email and phone on the big issue happened on our Foxconn MB G33M-S. Yesterday evening I sent one debug version BIOS about this issue to Ryan, ask him to help us verify again. This morning Ryan replied me his testing result. Almost bugs are fixed by this BIOS. Here is Ryan's testing result about

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Ya foxconn has long made the boards for intel as well I believe they also own Leadtek a company who designs many of the reference boards for Nvidia. Of which manufacturers such as Gainward, EVGA, XFX, PNY, etc also follow for designs of the MB / GC.

Leave a comment:

• Svartalf
    replied
    Heh... I kind of avoid Foxconn's motherboards. The connectors, etc. they make are "okay", but the motherboards they've made have been sub-par from the first days they started showing up on the scene here in the US.

It's what you reach for when you're trying to eke out every penny out of a customer and don't give a damn if you screw 'em over to do it.

[edit]
    Heh... That'd be the motherboards that are branded with their name, apparently... Seems Intel farms out the mobo stuff they put their name on to be built by Foxconn according to the Wikipedia article. I've had few issues with the Intel boards and much, much more with the ones with Foxconn's name emblazoned everywhere.
    Last edited by Svartalf; 28 July 2008, 01:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dragoran
    replied
    This blog entry contains some useful info:

Leave a comment:

• Kano
    replied
    Pretty interesting. Also the patch, one user already had issues like that with kernel 2.6.26. Btw. it would be really hard to avoid the OEM boards when you look at:

Even iPhones and gameing consoles *g*

Leave a comment:

• mlau
    replied
    I highly recommend everybody read these 2 posts of SuSE's Thomas Renninger to the LKML and the PDF linked to inside:

It's most likely not deliberate malice on FoxConn's side, but simple fallout from working around the various Windows ACPI implementation bugs
    and Linux' transparence wrt. ACPI OS identification, and the general incompetence of BIOS programmers (foxconns apparently
    suck more than the rest)
    Last edited by mlau; 26 July 2008, 06:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• _txf_
    replied
    Well that probably answers that. Either way problems like this won't occur to users with kernels >2.6.24

However I still think the whole noise was more or less justified, otherwise I doubt anyone from foxconn would bother replying.
    Last edited by _txf_; 25 July 2008, 08:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Some updates in the thread @ ubuntu

HI

just to say as am from Foxconn, No we dont deliberately sabotage the bios
    Plus the person who replyed to the email did not understand Linux

but we will have the bios fix sometime next week and at the same time a relook at how we are testing are boards with linux.

since this board should have been tested.

please dont flame me

heAlmightyCthulhu am sending a message hope you will reply

thanks

UK Technical Manager
    but i think the board in the early stages had problem with acpi for vista and was fixed.
    but so i think your seeing the remain of the tested code, which should have be removed.

not the first time i've had to have acpi fixed on are boards
    and will not be the last
    This is a more realistic scenario then a company "sabotaging" a product. Notice the response was within 24 hours. Honestly, some people have to start looking at situations with a level head.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X