ECS A780GM-A v1.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eisman View Post
    I have the GigaByte Ga-MA78... with the same chipset and i'm having some sort of weird problem with the video playback. When the picture is moving (e.g. camera angle changes) i get horizontal stripes almost like interlacing.
    I tried ubuntu, gentoo and windows. Windows gets it right but with linux it happens no matter which player or videoout module I use. Xv, X11, opengl...

Can anyone confirm this or tell me how to fix it?

Eisman

The ATI driver forums would probably be a better place to ask that.

Comment

First, thanks for the review, much appreciated.

From the article:

With the ECS A780GM-A we hadn't experienced any Linux issues but it had worked out of the box with Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Beta.
      How should we understand the "no Linux issues" thing? Does it mean: "The system boots correctly to a full desktop and sound and networking work correctly"? Or does it include: "Video playback, Compiz and suspend-to-ram work without issues"? That kind of info would be nice.

Thanks.

Comment

Issues with multiple video cards (PCI Express)

Apparently there's an issue with adding an additional video card in the PCI Express slot.

This board worked beautifully for me, until I tried to add another adapter (ATI HD 3450), at which point the kernel (2.6.24-19-generic SMP Ubuntu on an Athlon 64X2 dual core) panics immediately. Disabling the onboard adapter in the BIOS resolves the panic ("Disable" SurroundView) and allows you to use the PCI-E card without any additional problems. It's not a hardware issue as far as I can tell (XP works).

It seems a little odd to me that the Linux kernel would go so far as to panic on something that seems mildly trivial to me. I looked for info on the issue (Google) and came up quite short. I guess that because ATI hasn't implemented the Crossfire/Hybrid features (except on "select" products), that no one even tries (including kernel devs/testers).

Comment

Solid caps?

I'm thinking of buying a few of these but the reviews have conflicting specs about the use of solid capacitors. The ECS page for the A780GM-A doesn't mention it. Can anyone confirm that it has solid caps?

Comment

Working...
          X