Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARM64 Improvements Piling Up In Coreboot

Phoronix: ARM64 Improvements Piling Up In Coreboot

While yesterday I was talking about many Intel Broadwell improvements landing in Coreboot, the new Git activity today for Coreboot is about 64-bit ARM...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hopes

My hopes is that Coreboot explodes in popularity and availability in 2015.

I would really love to be able to run Coreboot on consumer devices.
    I would really love to see devices pre-installed with Coreboot.
    I would really love to see it easy to aftermod a device or computer wit Coreboot.

I would really love run Coreboot on my x86 desktop computer.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      My hopes is that Coreboot explodes in popularity and availability in 2015.

I would really love to be able to run Coreboot on consumer devices.
      I would really love to see devices pre-installed with Coreboot.
      I would really love to see it easy to aftermod a device or computer wit Coreboot.

I would really love to see Libreboot working on more machines instead of just Coreboot.

Comment

This is for "Rush" chromebook. This went together with many patches for tegra132 (Tegra K1 with Denver cores). I would prefer vendors to skip on tegra132 and go for tegra210 (Tegra X1). Some patches (u-boot, kernel) for tegra210 is already under review.

I wonder if those patches from downstream (android and chromebook kernels) reaches upstream kernel. I would definitely love to have Fedora on this.

Comment

Apropos, any benchmarks of the Gigabyte MP30-AR0 board?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Not till Microsoft Support and make it a valid option for the windows compatibility logo

Comment

My hope:
              • Build firmware and ready to flash by hardware
              • Better EFI support
              • More mother board certified
              • Lot of ARM platform support (cubieboard2, rpi, rpi2, cubox-i, ...)
              • Fit pc 1 and old hardware firmware image to flash
              • Easy, open source VGA/graphics support
              Developer of Ultracopier/CatchChallenger and CEO of Confiared

Comment

My 3rd wish:

I want coreboot to run on newer hardware instead of just ancient crap..
                I want "secure"-boot to burn in hell for ever..
                I want microsoft to burn in hell for ever..
                microsoft can make all the shitty decisions it wants to, and it usually only affects windows users....But when microsoft starts infringing up on linux territory, I get pissed.. Really pissed.. Don't start trying to control what the hell I run on my own computer.. That is my choice.. You can shove right off..

We need coreboot more than ever right now since in the near future all OEMs will have UEFI with "secure"-boot (AKA windows-boot) and remove the ability for the owner who PAID for that computer to turn it off..

I know microsoft has always hated linux, but now they have started a war.. It is no accident that it is getting harder and harder to boot linux on newer computers.. It is no coincidence that the sole company that is causing that to happen is microsoft.. Pisses me off because windows is like a playskool OS, bright colors and dumbed-down for basic computer-illiterate people.. Can't do any thing with it; no bash scripts; no options; no control; closed-source so only one company (microshaft) can change/add/remove features or even fix bugs.. No one else can.. And we just have to trust good old honest microsoft that no back-doors are implanted in it for them selves or NSA etc.. And they want to try to FORCE me to use such an OS.. What a bunch of crap..

P.S.: Yes libreboot would hypothetically be a better option than coreboot, but we can worry about 100% libre booting in the future.. Right now our first concern is even being able to boot linux at all on newer systems.. Coreboot is better than OEM-supplied UEFI crap, even if coreboot has to use some binary blobs for the time being.. We need to take back control of our computers from microsoft..

Comment

Coreboot looks nice in theory but then I see an article like that How to turn the Chromebook Pixel into a proper developer laptop and I'm in doubt. Is it Coreboot or Google that makes it so complicated?

Comment

Originally posted by kruger View Post
                    Coreboot looks nice in theory but then I see an article like that How to turn the Chromebook Pixel into a proper developer laptop and I'm in doubt. Is it Coreboot or Google that makes it so complicated?
                    The firmware write protect screw/jumper is an inevitable side effect of security choices made by Google. One of the security aims of Chrome OS was to prohibit any software exploit from ever installing a backdoor BIOS (if an exploit could do that, then the exploit can never be removed unless you can disassemble the device and use an external EPROM programmer).

Last edited by chrisb; 29 March 2015, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X