Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motherboard Query

Hi all,

I've been running an Asus Athlon X2 motherboard at work for a while with much success using Ubuntu 7.10 desktop version.

Now I'd like to build up a new home computer with emphasis on soft synths and some gimp/blender work. I plan to run Ubuntu Studio (7.10 and newer as they come out). For various reasons I'd like stick to the AMD platform, but want to build a micro-ATX form factor. I've been reviewing motherboards and am leaning toward the Asus M2N-VM DVI board.

We’re sorry, but this page does not existing. Please visit our home page for more information.

The only reviews I've been able to come up with are etailer reviews and I generally take them with a grain of salt - really hoping someone here can give me an independent review - does this board work well with minimal fuss, or are there known problems? Will probably rely on the onboard sound for now but will likely install an 8600 or 8800 series NVidia board instead of the onboard video.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance...

I think I have this ASUS board you mentioned or a very similar one running in one of my systems. In general, the GeForce 7050 + nForce 630a is a trouble-free Linux experience with no real problems that I've experienced. Onboard sound, audio, SATA, etc should work fine. You should have no problems installing the GeForce 8800 as long as it fits into your chassis.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, that sounds very reassuring...

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      In general, the GeForce 7050 + nForce 630a is a trouble-free Linux experience with no real problems that I've experienced.

Comment

Just don't get ATI/AMD chipsets. Not that they're bad, but they tend to have many quirks (like slightly less than good USB support on SB600 chips).

Comment

Working...
        X