Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Richland APU Support Added To Coreboot

Phoronix: AMD Richland APU Support Added To Coreboot

While traditionally AMD CPU/APUs and their chipsets are generally better supported by Coreboot than Intel hardware, only today is there AMD "Richland" APU support coming to Coreboot along with support for one new Lenovo laptop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Richland ain't too shabby. Looking forward to using Coreboot in the future.

Comment

Awesome but useless. You still has to Support each single Mainboard. Its sad to look at the Supported Hardware List.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Phoronix: AMD Richland APU Support Added To Coreboot

While traditionally AMD CPU/APUs and their chipsets are generally better supported by Coreboot than Intel hardware, only today is there AMD "Richland" APU support coming to Coreboot along with support for one new Lenovo laptop...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTg0OTM
        This is fantastic news. I bought a fleet of G505s' for peanuts (model refresh) about twelve months ago, and I've been sitting on them because I would need to use Ubuntu or RHEL on them to make them work. I can now install Arch without issue. I want to hug these guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
          Awesome but useless. You still has to Support each single Mainboard. Its sad to look at the Supported Hardware List.
          It's not directly useful,but far from useless. Given proper infrastructure solutions, there is not that much work needed to actually tweak it for support given motherboard model.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
            But it's is always the start. First support the CPU/APU. Then chipset and then mainboard (mainly SuperIO is needed afaik). In theory it should be a generic thing once all requirements are met. NIC and stuff needs to be supported by the kernel so coreboot doesn't have to care about that.
            The problem with the notebooks is that once a model is finally officially supported it is often out of stock at retailers. :/
            And this one has a mirror-display.
            But, then, it seems to run an A4-5000 which is way awesome to see a Kabini one supported. And the device comes also in a FreeDOS variant. No windows tax. Yummy!
            Last edited by Adarion; 28 November 2014, 01:02 PM.
            Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
              But it's is always the start. First support the CPU/APU.
              AMD provide since some time now code to coreboot but thats don't chance the fact that the Mainboard list is much to short.

after all coreboot is only for hardware vendors.

Comment

Working...
              X