MSI: Update Your BIOS From The Linux Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andreano View Post
    I bet they've had this Linux tool for like 20 years, within their own R&D department ? developers tend to solve their own problems.
    So do Techies.

Unfortunately, you can get fired for it.
    Hi

Comment

ECC

I would like to see ECC support in AM3+-Mainboards/-BIOS.

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
        I think you are missing the point, the problem is that flashing from an OS is riskier, not that it is is harder.
        Riskier ? Well if your flash crash in the BIOS, you can't reboot your PC to use your OS.
        With a OS-based flash, if the flash crash, you can still use your OS and go on Internet to get support.

Comment

Originally posted by whitecat View Post
          Riskier ? Well if your flash crash in the BIOS, you can't reboot your PC to use your OS.
          With a OS-based flash, if the flash crash, you can still use your OS and go on Internet to get support.
          You clearly haven't heard of Windows bluescreening in the middle of flashing.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            Never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              I don't care about Windows. There is no BSOD on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
                I think you are missing the point, the problem is that flashing from an OS is riskier, not that it is is harder.
                That's why everyone mobo manufacturer should be using dual bios. I have it on a Gigabyte board and it saved my arse the first time I tried flashing the bios from freeDOS. It failed. Luckily the bios was restored from the backup and I was able to attempt another flash (different rom) which worked.

Comment

Or on Asus boards where you can flash from USB without even turning on the PC. That has saved me a few times.
                  I never flash from an OS, ANY OS. To many things can go wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by whitecat View Post
                    I don't care about Windows. There is no BSOD on Linux.
                    The equivalent can still happen, as this flashing program uses a kernel module. What if it causes a panic?

Comment

Working...
                    X