Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New build, first Linux PC, what could go wrong? ;)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

blow an extra $30 on the GTX 970

Originally posted by WilliamJeremiah View Post
    If you are going to spend nearly $2,000, you might as well spend the extra $30-$40 to bump up to the GTX 970. Its got better overall performance (around the GTX 780 / r9 290x range) and much better perf/W than either which will give you a cooler and quieter build (145W TDP vs 230W vs 300W). One can even find GTX 970 boards in single slot and mini itx form factors. Highly recommended.

I did just get a system76 wild dog pro pretty much as stated (i7 4790, 16GB ram, 1 TB SSD, excellent build, 600+W PSU, and very quiet) and added my own GTX 970. An excellent system with minimal hassles for around 2k. I even have a spreadsheet that outlines setup for use with Kubuntu 14.04. Let me know if you are interested.

Comment

uh, no, i'm not interested, but thanks.. i was only giving jimkidy a ball park figure for what a system like mike4's would cost.

but i am interested in knowing how big of a deal it would be to get accurate temperature readings showing with lm-sensors and conky while using an Asus Z97-A motherboard (see url posted in last post **more resources**) or if i should forget Asus and stick with ASRock or Gigabyte

Comment

I hear Gigabyte boards are pretty good right now. Which is the best choice for a non-gaming system, for browsing, using programs like Gimp, Inkscape etc.? For having lots of tabs open etc. Do you need both cpu power and high RAM?

I think Intel is good for power/performance efficiency (hardware doesn't overheat like amd at this stage) but you have to pay more $$. For e.g., AMD FX-6300 vs Intel Pentium G3258 (but, with a plan to upgrade later)? Which is the better path?

Hope to get some ideas. I guess the budget is around $200-$300 but this is for just mobo/cpu and RAM (I think RAM is around $90 total for 8gb stick or 2 sticks of 4gb).

Also, is it better to use Intel HD graphics (of G3258) or an AMD HD 6450 card (that's the card they have now). Nothing in the budget, initially, to get a new card.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
          I hear Gigabyte boards are pretty good right now. Which is the best choice for a non-gaming system, for browsing, using programs like Gimp, Inkscape etc.? For having lots of tabs open etc. Do you need both cpu power and high RAM?

I think Intel is good for power/performance efficiency (hardware doesn't overheat like amd at this stage) but you have to pay more $$. For e.g., AMD FX-6300 vs Intel Pentium G3258 (but, with a plan to upgrade later)? Which is the better path?

Hope to get some ideas. I guess the budget is around $200-$300 but this is for just mobo/cpu and RAM (I think RAM is around $90 total for 8gb stick or 2 sticks of 4gb).

Also, is it better to use Intel HD graphics (of G3258) or an AMD HD 6450 card (that's the card they have now). Nothing in the budget, initially, to get a new card.
          Concerning the best option for future upgrade, I'd go with the Intel LGA 1150 + G3258. Can easily throw in an i3 or i5 later down the road.
          But if web browsing and photo editing is all you expect to do, I'd consider
          an embedded solution, such as: BIOSTAR NM70I-1037U and when accumulating multiple web browsing tabs, RAM is the most important.
          The motherboard above offers a dual core celeron (1.8GHz) and is one of the few embedded solutions to include full size RAM slots, SATA III and a PCI-E x16 2.0 Slot (x8), so you'd be able to use your HD 6450, which is one tier faster than 'Intel HD Graphics 4000' according to tomshardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post

AMD hardware does not overheat any more than existing Intel hardware. To be honest, you'd be fine even with something as cheap as an AM1 platform system for that kind of scenario. Rather than CPU power, having a SSD and at least 8GB of RAM will make the most difference; more than 8GB is essentially overkill. My grandfather does that kind of work and I gave him an A8-6600K. Can't really beat his silent, passively cooled quad core 4 GHz APU. An A8-7600K is a better buy today.
            Last edited by mmstick; 28 December 2014, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hooly View Post
              That case seems a 1950's fridge.

Cheers!
              Last edited by alexcortes; 29 December 2014, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by alexcortes View Post
                That case seems a 1950's fridge.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by WilliamJeremiah View Post
                  This is just an estimate (i've not researched these items)

z87 pro mainboard 180
                  core i7 CPU 340
                  2400mhz RAM x16 250
                  GTX770 300
                  sam840ssd GB??? 200-400
                  other hdds 150
                  ________________+350 = (i didn't remember seeing the case, power supply or cpu cooler listed)

yeah, anywhere from 1770 to 2000 usd for the main mama jama

What i'd like to know is if lm-sensors can be configured for conky, when using an asus z97.. i've read some other poll, saying another slider is required in order to interpret the temperatures. Any word on this ?
                  I think it can .

Comment

Working...
                  X