No announcement yet.

ASRock AM1H-ITX: One Of The Best AM1 Mini-ITX Motherboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This makes no sense...W7 Catalyst in your MoBo installs AHCI and forces it ?!?
    How can it be if BIOS is set to IDE ?...or did Catalyst change BIOS setting also ?

In my FM2+ ASRock MoBo, if i set BIOS to IDE it stays so even in W7 and after Catalyst install...only way to change it is if set it BIOS to AHCI or after i boot after BIOS update.
    BIOS update restores default values, including setting BIOS to AHCI mode , and then W7 refuses to boot and i need to go back to BIOS and set it back to IDE.
    However, I never tested what would happen under LINUX in this MoBo if i change BIOS SATA settings.

Are you using CD/DVD that came with your driver for installing drivers for W7 ?
    Reinstall W7, but this time, don't use your MoBo CD/DVD software, DONT install AV software yet, go to ASUS page, download and install ONLY THESE and in EXACT same order:

ASUS Chipset file with listed size of 813.56MB

Realtek LAN Driver file with listed file size as 19.79MB

ASUS Chipset file with listed size of 342MB

Go to Realtek page and get most recent Realtek HD Audio driver for W7 64bit: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/

That's it...no more files than those, at least for now.

You really don't need AHCI with HDDs...

As for Linux, LUBUNTU, XUBUNTU, Linux Mint,etc. they all derivative from UBUNTU witch is derivative from Debian...you might want to try SLACKWARE after all

SLACKWARE doesn't use Upstart, Systemd ,etc. so it might behave differently...sorry but i don't know much about how AHCI works in LINUX, in fact, i never cared about AHCI in Linux or in Wxx.

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
      This makes no sense...W7 Catalyst in your MoBo installs AHCI and forces it ?!?
      How can it be if BIOS is set to IDE ?...or did Catalyst change BIOS setting also ?
      No, no and must say no again . When i started to install ahci driver (downloaded from asus site) it asks do i want start Catalyst Installer to install that ahci driver . Any of those does not touch bios settings of course .

Are you using CD/DVD that came with your driver for installing drivers for W7 ?
      Reinstall W7, but this time, don't use your MoBo CD/DVD software, DONT install AV software yet, go to ASUS page, download and install ONLY THESE and in EXACT same order:

ASUS Chipset file with listed size of 813.56MB

Realtek LAN Driver file with listed file size as 19.79MB

ASUS Chipset file with listed size of 342MB

Go to Realtek page and get most recent Realtek HD Audio driver for W7 64bit: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/
      No, i did not install from DVD any drivers, i download all those from Asus AM1M-A support page .

As for Linux, LUBUNTU, XUBUNTU, Linux Mint,etc. they all derivative from UBUNTU witch is derivative from Debian...you might want to try SLACKWARE after all

SLACKWARE doesn't use Upstart, Systemd ,etc. so it might behave differently...sorry but i don't know much about how AHCI works in LINUX, in fact, i never cared about AHCI in Linux or in Wxx.
      In Debian i can choose init system (sysv, upstart, systemd, etc... all are available ) . I use Debian for 13 years now , so i am not a newbie of that kind .

Comment

If you use any of those distros LUBUNTU, XUBUNTU, Linux Mint,etc. they all derivative from UBUNTU witch is derivative from Debian... you use ahci driver, but in IDE mode

Comment

OK , i got what you meant (i think) but why do you want to install AHCI driver in W7, if it can work in IDE mode ?!?

I don't install AHCI in any version Wxx and i have no problems for that.

It's not as if install a AHCI driver is mandatory because it's not.

Comment

OK , i got what you meant (i think) but why do you want to install AHCI driver in W7, if it can work in IDE mode ?!?
            Because i don't want to make Windows work and i don't installed it to use it, but to test it is there a difference between linux and windows on overclocking and bclk 106 mettter regards and there is an difference... I have only one goal here: it is to pass bclk 106 with sata working in Linux .

I don't install AHCI in any version Wxx and i have no problems for that.

It's not as if install a AHCI driver is mandatory because it's not.
            For Windows yes and for Linux yes, driver will work in ide or ahci mode of course depending on bios or efi and mode of installation ... And for Linux that settings depends on board of course (some board sata controllers can work with both methods, but some only with ahci, etc...), and how do you install an Linux is it bios or efi mode, but in linux seems to any mode installation does not work... of course it does work, but for this matter seems like we just cannot pass bclk 106 in Linux or i just does not have a right parameter because default will not work for any linuxes .
            Last edited by dungeon; 03 May 2014, 06:42 PM.

Comment

This is full of quirks and workaraunds (and needs much more )

And i don't think they want to support overclocked machines .

So basicaly we can't overclock more then bclk 105 on linux with SATA dirves working because ahci driver for some reason just fail to detect a SATA drive anymore . Of course if someone know (i don't) what happens to change in between bclk 105 and 106, maybe then we can apply some workaround .

Comment

Have you tried anything with the 0602 bios?

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                  Have you tried anything with the 0602 bios?
                  No, thanks for information they released again new bios few days ago .

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                    No, thanks for information they released again new bios few days ago .
                    Updated.

And no go and i don't expect that to happen It is Linux only problem, nope overclockin' . Simon says - use somethin' other, but just not that ;D.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                      Updated.

And no go and i don't expect that to happen It is Linux only problem, nope overclockin' . Simon says - use somethin' other, but just not that ;D.
                      Do I win? I've got a bit of experience with the overclocking stuff and my AM1 kit just arrived...

Running the 0602 BIOS, [email protected] successfully booting Ubuntu using this build http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3KFAQ Everything works and everything is rock solid stable.
                      Last edited by Kivada; 15 May 2014, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X