Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte F2A88XM-D3H AMD A88X

Phoronix: Gigabyte F2A88XM-D3H AMD A88X

For those in the market for an AMD Kaveri compatible motherboard that is micro-ATX and not too expensive, the Gigabyte F2A88XM-D3H is a board worth considering that works well with Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If you don't need two pci-e slots, pick the ds2 model of the same, mine cost 37 eur.

Comment

No lm-sensors support???????

Does the sensor exist? But just not supported by linux kernel yet?.. Meaning, some time in the future it will be supported?..

Also, an other question: I have a lenovo laptop with kabini APU......but running "pwmconfig" to try to make a config file for fancontrol says: "There are no usable PWM outputs."
      Is this because the laptop doesn't let you control the fan speed at all? Or is that because linux hasn't added support for fan control for kabini APUs yet?..
      The fan on the laptop is super loud all the time, even when the APU temperature is very low.........I wish there was a way to use fancontrol on this stupid laptop..

Comment

So Gigabyte sells a board which is Kaveri compatible, but ships with an outdated UEFI that does not support Kaveri, although Kaveri support can be added by flashing the firmware to the latest version.

Way to go Gigabyte.

Comment

Michael, power draw is different on many boards, but unfortunately you never seem to measure it. Pity

Baconmon, you should check the question mark key on your keybord, seems to be broken. If your Lenovo is a ThinkPad, try thinkfan. Works fine for my E145 (Kabini aswell). Oh, and it's all in the article, Kaveri sensor is not in the kernel yet, but will be there in 3.14 which is the next release and not "some time in the future". Accordingt to the article.

Comment

Last year I bought a Kaveri compatible MikroATX board from ASRock and I can't complain about it. The network module ist only supported by kernel >= 3.10, but otherwise everthing is quite fine. Sensorsdetect works fine and finds nct6775 as chip driver.
            The model: ASRock FM2A88M Extreme4+, costs in the EU around 50 EUR.

Comment

$80 not being too expensive? Hmm... I'd put $50 or under in a "not too expensive" category. And I bet Gigabyte released the motherboard since last year which did not support Kaveri yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                So Gigabyte sells a board which is Kaveri compatible, but ships with an outdated UEFI that does not support Kaveri, although Kaveri support can be added by flashing the firmware to the latest version.

Way to go Gigabyte.
                I know Gigabyte has been working with retailer/distributor stock to make sure everything had a Kaveri-compatible BIOS. They announced a few weeks ago that all the stock at newegg.com was ready (I saw the notice on a newegg forum), don't know about status at other retailers.
                Test signature

Comment

Same board I am looking at getting for my steamOS build.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Way to go Gigabyte.
                    This is a pretty common issue with AMD boards of any brand - it's basically the side effect of them trying to allow backward compatiility. When AM3+ was released, it required a BIOS update with a non-FX CPU to upgrade it, including some of the black socket boards.

Personally, I lucked out because I have a 3-year-old white socket motherboard that happens to be AM3+ compatible, and I used my old Athlon II to do the upgrade. I'm not sure what other people do when they buy a new board that doesn't ship with the upgrade and when they don't have an older CPU.

Comment

Working...
                    X