ECS KBN-I + AMD E1-2100 "Kabini" APU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    My point is that USB 2.0 is a redundant legacy technology with no use, since USB 3 is backwards compatible.
    I would rather have six USB 3.0 ports than two USB 3.0 and four USB 2.0.

Oh, I didn't know there were so cheap power supplies and ITX cases.
    The ITX power supplies and ITX cases I've seen have cost very much.

At least here in germany they are ranging from 50 to 160? all with included sub-200watt power supplies.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
      http://www.alternate.de/html/listing...r_2=&filter_1=

At least here in germany they are ranging from 50 to 160? all with included sub-200watt power supplies.
      But once you buy the ECS KBN-I + AMD E1-2100 "Kabini" APU and a case and power supply, you're pretty much up in the price range of an Intel NUC.

Comment

Yeah, definitely!
        Add RAM, power supply, storage and a case, and its much more expensive than a Raspberry Pi.
        Though, its also much more powerful.
        Uh, rpi does not come with PSU, case, or storage.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          Uh, rpi does not come with PSU, case, or storage.
          Well, Raspberry Pi comes with a power adapter (which is equivalent do a power supply).

Add even if you add a case and storage to a Raspberry Pi, it will still be cheaper.

A case for the Raspberry Pi is ?10.
          You can't find a mini-ITX case for that price.

A SD storage for the Raspberry Pi is going to be cheaper than storage for the ECS KBN-I too.

Comment

Let me ask you something Mr Michael, because something is wrong with your benchmarks some times. E1-2100 has two cores with just an 128bit Fmac vector per core (1/4 of the FX Cpu) and just 2dmips/mhz core at 1ghz, that is just 4000dmips. Core i3 has 2 cores * 10dmips/mhz per core * 3ghz, that is 60000dmips. Just 15x difference, but your benchmarks show 2.5x, so???

Comment

But once you buy the ECS KBN-I + AMD E1-2100 "Kabini" APU and a case and power supply, you're pretty much up in the price range of an Intel NUC.

Case inluding P/S starts at ?30, that's below $42 currently, including 19% VAT. So including that Kabini board, depending you get it between 30 and 100$, sums up to below 75 ... below 145$. Unfortunately the Kabini ITX boards aren't sold in Germany, so it's all just theory.

Intel NUC starts at ?115 ≃ $158 here (incl VAT)

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
                Let me ask you something Mr Michael, because something is wrong with your benchmarks some times. E1-2100 has two cores with just an 128bit Fmac vector per core (1/4 of the FX Cpu) and just 2dmips/mhz core at 1ghz, that is just 4000dmips. Core i3 has 2 cores * 10dmips/mhz per core * 3ghz, that is 60000dmips. Just 15x difference, but your benchmarks show 2.5x, so???
                You're making the assumption that every program consists only of vector instructions that use this unit. That's probably not the case. Also, memory subsystem, branch mis-prediction, and other bottlenecks can reduce peak performance. I'm not saying that there couldn't be a higher difference in the benchmarks, but pure theoretical peak numbers almost never reflect reality.

Comment

All these synthetic benchmarks don't say much to me.Wuld be nice to have some subjective commentary on real wotld performance. How does play back 1080p flash? What's browser performance like?

Comment

What is the point with a cheap mini-sized motherboard when you still need a huge power supply that cost even more than the motherboard.

Also 1990s called, they want their USB 2.0 technology back.

http://www.mini-box.com/picoPSU-80 $25 ! these work quite well

complaints about USB3 is foolish... its not just a simple "bam, upgrade your ports to 3.0", it takes BANDWIDTH from the chipset (inside the apu). In this case, this dual core doesn't natively support USB 3.0, the rest of the G-Series Kabini APUs only have 2. http://www.amd.com/us/Documents/AMDG...oductBrief.pdf (G-series == same as E1-2100) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...13.2C_28_nm.29

they could use PCIe -> Usb3 controllers. Yes, you need PCIe lanes for USB3 support! These processors only have 2 spare (after allocating 4 LANES to the 16x slot).

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
                      All these synthetic benchmarks don't say much to me.Wuld be nice to have some subjective commentary on real wotld performance. How does play back 1080p flash? What's browser performance like?
                      Lets say if e1-2100 is comparabile with Intel Core Duo 1.8GHz processor then 1080p may play smooth but i think it is not it comparabile with that more like Pentium Dual Core ore something...

720 maybe... but who cares about flash on Linux when even Adobe does not care

Comment

Working...
                      X