Coreboot Gets Ported To The Lenovo X230 Ultrabook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zanny View Post
    In theory, though, the even better option would be for linux to be coreboot-aware enough to be able to write into the firmware modifications from userspace to set this stuff, so you can tweak your voltages / cpufreq / ram timings from a live system. I figure the only real safeguard you'd want like that is if you have 3 failed boots in a row or something it resets to the defaults so it can cleanly boot.
    I thought that was the general idea? You already can change a fair amount of things from userland, like overclocking GPUs. Editing UEFI variables is another example of interaction between the firmware and the OS (adding boot entries and changing entry order is not so different from changing any other firmware settings). So it sounds doable.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
      What is the point of a laptop again?
      I don't suspend or hibernate any of my laptops. I either set them to turn off the screen when I shut the lid, or just shut it down when I'm not using it. S3 not working doesn't even matter to me

Comment

AFAIK, this will only be useful to endusers if Lenovo signs a coreboot blob, or if you can manually reprogram the BIOS chip.

Comment

Originally posted by Xipeos View Post
          AFAIK, this will only be useful to endusers if Lenovo signs a coreboot blob, or if you can manually reprogram the BIOS chip.
          You can manually reprogram firmware chip

Comment

Working...
          X