X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• developer
    replied
    LGPL is a Free software license, that is used in special cases:

So, an LGPL program is still a Free Software program.

Leave a comment:

• Teho
    replied
    Originally posted by zester View Post
    Its a matter of principle, after that FOSS developer was sued by the FSF for combining GPL2 and GPL3 code and refusing to re-license, I like many(Eben Moglen) have started distancing them self's from the FSF. You can hunt threw Rob Landley's blog to get specifics, if you wan't but needless to say I don't support any foundation that attacks there own or a license that hinders the advancement of Linux and our community(Blender/FBX/Nvidia)
    Gummiboot is not associated with FSF or GNU and even though it's a new project it still uses the less restrictive LGPLv2.1+ license. There are numerous projects that use L/GPL licenses that have nothing to do with FSF, like say Linux or KDE.

Leave a comment:

• zester
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    Please link to that. I failed to find it on Landley's blog or google.
    You might have to actually read each entry or search the net, because I don't recall what year it was, landley
    has thousands of entry's since 2006-07 I seriously doubt you made it past 2013 in the last hour.

The first page has over 200+ entry's.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Please link to that. I failed to find it on Landley's blog or google.

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Sued for combining GPLv2 and GPLv3? Well, serves them right. It's explicitly forbidden to do that, and for good reasons (GPLv3 fixes an important loophole, and those who use GPLv2 specifically due to the loophole don't deserve their code to be reused).

Leave a comment:

• zester
    replied
    Originally posted by r_a_trip View Post
    What is the problem with LGPL? If you don't intend to modify and only use it to boot, its quid pro quo provisions never kick in.
    Its a matter of principle, after that FOSS developer was sued by the FSF for combining GPL2 and GPL3 code and refusing to re-license, I like many(Eben Moglen) have started distancing them self's from the FSF. You can hunt threw Rob Landley's blog to get specifics, if you wan't but needless to say I don't support any foundation that attacks there own or a license that hinders the advancement of Linux and our community(Blender/FBX/Nvidia)

Leave a comment:

• r_a_trip
    replied
    Originally posted by zester View Post
    It's GNU LGPL I will just keep booting using UEFI directly, there will be a new UEFI bootloader eventually
    someone in the GPL purge camp will ended up writing one.
    What is the problem with LGPL? If you don't intend to modify and only use it to boot, its quid pro quo provisions never kick in.

Leave a comment:

• zester
    replied
    It's GNU LGPL I will just keep booting using UEFI directly, there will be a new UEFI bootloader eventually
    someone in the GPL purge camp will ended up writing one.

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic Gummiboot Gains Splash Screen Support

Gummiboot Gains Splash Screen Support

Phoronix: Gummiboot Gains Splash Screen Support

Gummiboot, the simple and open-source UEFI boot manager, now has support for displaying a user-defined splash screen...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X