No announcement yet.

ASUS Motherboard Ships With Embedded Linux, Web Browser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course the software is not expensive, but I assume that the development is.

I don't see how they include Skype with the GPLed Linux kernel. Sounds like a GPL violation to me.

Comment

It is allowed to use binary software, at max it is a gray area with precompiled binary kernel modules. Therefore Ubuntu does not link em in the package (no .ko files) but does the last step with the linux restricted modules manager - .ko files are in a ramdisk. For me that's hairsplitting.

Comment

Windows? Did you say Windows?

I don't care how you slice it, updating a system with embedded Linux using Windows is like getting parts for your Lexus at a Yugo dealership.

Comment

Skype and Intel.Axis of tech evil. Joking...
          With so much RAM on PCs these days why can't it update itself while running?

Comment

Originally posted by Source Of Radiance View Post
            Skype and Intel.Axis of tech evil. Joking...
            With so much RAM on PCs these days why can't it update itself while running?
            We will be publishing more information Wednesday morning, until then I cannot provide anymore comments now.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

The only thing that I do not understand is that this Linux embedded feature is not mentioned at all in the manual. Also I have highly doubts that it will run WITHOUT hd, a BIOS image is 2 MB, but how huge should be the chip? Maybe the installer sets a marker in the mbr where to find the image on hd. Could you verify this by testing it WITHOUT hd? Also I would like to know what files the Windows tool does create...

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                The only thing that I do not understand is that this Linux embedded feature is not mentioned at all in the manual. Also I have highly doubts that it will run WITHOUT hd, a BIOS image is 2 MB, but how huge should be the chip? Maybe the installer sets a marker in the mbr where to find the image on hd. Could you verify this by testing it WITHOUT hd? Also I would like to know what files the Windows tool does create...
                It's mentioned in the printed manual under ASUS Express Gate. Perhaps for the online version they are removing it since this technology isn't being announced until Wednesday.

SplashTop doesn't depend upon a hard drive.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

What BIOS chip is used?

Comment

Look, the Phoronix folks just told us they cannot give any additional details until Wednesday

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                      What BIOS chip is used?
                      Maybe it's in an extra nand chip. They're a lot cheaper
                      than NORs/EEPROMs of similar sizes, and you can fit a
                      lot of software in 64MB flash.

Comment

Working...
                      X