SB600 IDE SATA II but no DMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SB600 IDE SATA II but no DMA

I'm having a problem trying to enable DMA.
    hdparm -d1 /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
    setting using_dma to 1 (on)
    HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device

I googled the error and most of the threads I've read talked about "Compiling the chipset support into the kernel". I'm running the 2.6.22.1-41.fc7 kernel with kmod-fglrx 8.39.4

Anyone have any idea on how to fix this?

Motherboard:
    ASUS M2A-VM HDMI motherboard that comes with an SB600 chipset.

lspci -v | grep IDE
    00:14.1 IDE interface: ATI Technologies Inc SB600 IDE (prog-if 82 [Master PriP])

Are you sure the /dev/sda node refers to the
    IDE controller you listed? (post a dmesg and
    lspci output if possible)

The traditional "IDE-DMA" stuff does not at all
    apply to newer SATA (read up on the history of
    IDE to understand why), which would explain
    the inappropriate IOCTL error.

Comment

hdparm cannot modify any settings on sata drives. it was designed to work on ata drives.

they (sata drives/motherboards) are said to be "smart enough" to use dma by default. if not, maybe sdparm will help here.

are you sure it doesn't work? try running hdparm -tT /dev/sda and post the results.

Comment

Besides you are probably using libata which sets DMA modes automatically even for IDE afaik. It had a nasty bug in the .20 kernel that failed to set DMA on IDE Drives if a SATA Drive was present.

Comment

Yeah you guys are right,
          hdparm -tT yeilds

cached reads: 665.27 MB/sec
          buffered disk reads: 58.26 MB/s

I thought there was a problem because I am running a myth tv which records tv shows to the fedora 7 box. And then on my Windows XP box I connect to the a SMB share and stream the mpeg2 files. I've also tried xvid (avi) files and found that it's extremely slow. I'm getting about 80-200 kB/sec (using DU meter). Which is too slow to stream the 4 GB file.

What's interesting is when I open up a VNC window to the fedora 7 box. When I open up the vnc window and just leave it the vnc window viewing the linux desktop I can then stream the mpeg or avi file at 3.61mB/sec. It makes no sense I have no idea what's going on. If I lower the vnc window (minimize the vnc screen) the streaming slows back down to 100 kB/sec and the video (winamp) starts stuttering. As soon as I restore the vnc window the video plays smoothly and the streaming bit rate resumes.

FYI when I kill winamp the du meter reports the bandwidth to be 0.8 - 2 mB/sec.

I would really like close down the vnc viewer, but it's unwatchable without it. Does anyone have any idea what's going on and how to fix the problem.

Comment

Working...
          X