Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• allquixotic
    replied
    VIA does indeed suck, but there are a few things that you can safely use that are VIA right now:

1. Things integrated onto motherboards that are fundamentally someone else's. For instance, ASrock and ASUS sometimes put certain VIA chipsets (IDE, PCI, SATA or USB) on motherboards they make, and the motherboard core is based on an Intel design such as Z77. The open source support for these "things" is generally pretty good, whether thanks to VIA's direct involvement in contributing, or community driven development.

2. Anything that doesn't require a driver at all is fair game, just evaluate the hardware on its merits and buy it or don't buy it.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    I don't get the hate, they made a product that extends the usb3 cable range from 3m to 100m. Their cable has really no bearing on their lack of FOSS support.
    Good for them.
    It might be a good cable, but I still don't like them because all their other products suck.

I had a motherboard with their Via KT133 chipset and it BSOD a lot.

Had a laptop with the VIA Chrome graphics, and it got a flickering rectangle on the mouse pointer, so couldn't use it Linux.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    I don't get the hate, they made a product that extends the usb3 cable range from 3m to 100m. Their cable has really no bearing on their lack of FOSS support.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    VIA is ok if you want an entire system made completely by 1 company - they are cheap. But otherwise there are better choices for a better price. I too hate Belkin, at least their routers. Some of their other things are ok.
    Then you going to use that system on Linux?
    And the graphics wont work or will barely work. Buggy and slow as hell.

My dad bought a Belkin router. I told dude you bought network gear from a company that sells iPod socks. What an idiot. The router sucked.

Leave a comment:

• Adarion
    replied
    lol.

For a cable.

lol.

Triumphant message. Thanks, that made my day.

Leave a comment:

• FireBurn
    replied
    Why bother with the quotation marks? It really was a Best Choice Award

Leave a comment:

• schmidtbag
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    I consider VIA (along with SiS) to be worst choice.

I would never buy anything from VIA or SiS because their stuff sucks!
    I wouldn't buy from Belkin or Trust either.
    VIA is ok if you want an entire system made completely by 1 company - they are cheap. But otherwise there are better choices for a better price. I too hate Belkin, at least their routers. Some of their other things are ok.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Worst Choice Award

I consider VIA (along with SiS) to be worst choice.

I would never buy anything from VIA or SiS because their stuff sucks!
    I wouldn't buy from Belkin or Trust either.
    Last edited by uid313; 29 May 2012, 07:48 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Nille
    replied
    This must the biggest humiliation for an Hardware company. \o/

Leave a comment:

• mark45
    replied
    Michael seems to hate the irrelevant and dying VIA company for not sharing source code for their irrelevant and dying product(s).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X