No announcement yet.

Gigabyte's ASPM Motherboard Fix: Use Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uh, forgot to add. Regarding other motherboard vendors. Unlike Gigabyte, that states their motherboards are for Windows only, other state that their motherboard may be compatible with non-windows systems, but they can not guarantee that. And if you happen to have a problem, they will listen it up and if its their fault they will correct it, regardless of OS you use. That was my experience with ASUS.

Comment

Good to know ... I won't buy gigabyte boards anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
        Uh, forgot to add. Regarding other motherboard vendors. Unlike Gigabyte, that states their motherboards are for Windows only, other state that their motherboard may be compatible with non-windows systems, but they can not guarantee that. And if you happen to have a problem, they will listen it up and if its their fault they will correct it, regardless of OS you use. That was my experience with ASUS.
        Only if you know how to reach the right people at Asus which is basically completely skip regional support and call Asus HQ directly.

Comment

Originally posted by lucx View Post
          I'am stil getting bios updates for my 4 years old mb a7n8x-e from asus.
          Last BIOS update for that board was in 2009.

ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/so...orce2/a7n8x-e/

Comment

Gygabyte and Phoronix just increased my workload

My boss just called me after reading this, to make me change an order of 25 gygabyte boards we had. Now I'll have to choose one from Tyan and test it for another month.

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra View Post
              My boss just called me after reading this, to make me change an order of 25 gygabyte boards we had. Now I'll have to choose one from Tyan and test it for another month.
              Your boss did the right thing!

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra View Post
                That makes no sense. Why did you choose Gigabyte in the first place when they had made no claims of Linux support to start with? And why does publicly stating what was already implicitly stated change anything?

Comment

Honestly we shouldn't be surprised, is there really any motherboard company that supports any other than windows...
                  But indeed it does take it another level that gigabyte and others wont even fix something that is out of spec.

I think the only way for something to happen would be to have pressure come from another large company. I think it would take Amd and Intel going through company channels to make sure things like this are fixed. Amd and Intel have more visible support for linux and one would assume they would want their products to work with it correctly.

Comment

not a fan of Tyan aka Mitac

having been an buyer of Tyan (aka Mitac) motherboards when the first of the Intel San Clemente chipset came out, I would be reluctant to buy Tyan again.

the motherboards had various problems which were denied for quite a few months, and Tyan's technical support (a single person to cover most of Europe as far as I could tell) was hardly available to help.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
                      Your boss did the right thing!
                      yes he did ;'] , Tyan is very cool and efficient with bios troubles users report .
                      but Gigabyte is not that bad . both brands are not having same targets and not the same cpus or ram , most consumers are using wiwi and it is better for them when focus is on what they use , at least to get the better for the lowest price.
                      Linux os is good but sometimes its creators have too much the focus on the free software rules . so they even do not like "hardware-drivers" . i agree and prefer this kind of point of view , at least to prevent incompatibilities . but look at M$ that produces none and "signs" them ... that should not be done for free...

Comment

Working...
                      X