Gigabyte's ASPM Motherboard Fix: Use Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
    The same thing happened with my Lenovo T520. I called their technical support and they told me to use Windows.
    Bullsh!t. Ask them when you can expect the check for a Windows license.

Comment

Who?

Who wrote the reply? Has is someone that was actually on the BIOS team, or some PR or marketing guy? Seeing as they confused driver support with fixing a BIOS buy, I'm guessing the later. It's not just about Linux, it's that the bios is not acting in accordance with the defined standards. Was the message actually delivered to anyone with the authority and know how to fix the bug? If not I would try addressing someone who did.

Comment

Originally posted by WorBlux View Post
        Who wrote the reply? Has is someone that was actually on the BIOS team, or some PR or marketing guy? Seeing as they confused driver support with fixing a BIOS buy, I'm guessing the later. It's not just about Linux, it's that the bios is not acting in accordance with the defined standards. Was the message actually delivered to anyone with the authority and know how to fix the bug? If not I would try addressing someone who did.
        Yes but unless the issue effects the supported operating system there is little reason for them to bother fixing it. If it works fine in Windows that is all that matters to them. Also just trying to get the information to the proper people is a HUGE challenge. In the article Mike linked to a thread I posted some time back trying to get the proper information to Asus's BIOS team. I would invite you to read that thread and see how much of a challenge that is. I posted the full correspondence from one such episode ( I have had many such issues and every time to get anything resolved involved a late night phone call over seas.).

Comment

What motherboards are used in Apple's Mac products? Maybe they would be more suitable for linux builds?

Comment

I realy need to say this:

Use Windows or never buy Gigabyte. end of the story, the are known for poor support in bios area, they have no updates for bioses. I'am stil getting bios updates for my 4 years old mb a7n8x-e from asus.

Comment

Originally posted by lucx View Post

Use Windows or never buy Gigabyte. end of the story, the are known for poor support in bios area, they have no updates for bioses. I'am stil getting bios updates for my 4 years old mb a7n8x-e from asus.
              If the air temp gets cool enough in here, my GB motherboard's BIOS reports a negative temp for the CPU, causing the fan to run at the lowest speed, regardless of load.

srs

Comment

What about laptops shipping with Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by lucx View Post

I'm going to have to call BS on this one, not only do they have Q-Flash which is the easiest way to flash one's bios, since you just need to stick the bios file on a flash drive and reboot into Q-Flash instead of jerking around with freedos, but there has already been 6 steppings to the BIOS on my A75-UD4H.

Comment

So let's create a blacklist for mainboards.
                    Also: what about coreboot? Will a chip with coreboot work flawlessly?

Comment

Originally posted by mark_ View Post
                      So let's create a blacklist for mainboards.
                      Also: what about coreboot? Will a chip with coreboot work flawlessly?
                      To which I'll bring up that Gigabyte is one of the main contributors to coreboot
                      Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 19 October 2011, 02:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X