No announcement yet.

ASRock Z68 Pro3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SATA controllers not supporting IDE mode (Intel, for example) can often be problematic with Win XP. I'd rather use a motherboard with AMD chipset - those chipsets sometimes offer a BIOS option for good old IDE mode to get SATA working with XP without needing to fiddle with drivers or floppy's.

Comment

use nlite to integrate the needed driver, piece of cake.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        use nlite to integrate the needed driver, piece of cake.
        Presto!

nlite's great.... for XP users, it's essential.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
          Why not switch to Windows 7? When I installed XP Pro, I always used a slipstreamed CD to avoid the very issues you speak of.

One thing to know about Asrock 1155 SB boards is that they all use the etron chip for the USB 3.0. It's still not supporting Linux yet but apparently there are now patches for it. Unfortunately, the support will only effect installs using kernel 3.0. Something like that, anyway.
          The reason I'm using XP & Kubuntu is that I intensely dislike the way Microsoft is heading--relying on simple user groups to develop their products. This is generally frustrating for me and many others. Personally, I'd rather spend my money on decent hardware than waste it on overpriced MS software.

It was easier at the time to pop the top of the case off and add a temporary floppy drive. If I was going to do this often, I would slipstream the CD. I assume that if one booted from a USB floppy with DOS 6.22 & a CD driver, that would work if the floppy was designated Drive A:

Thanks for the tip about Kernel 3.0, Kubuntu 11.04 does not seem to use it, so I guess I'll have to wait. I can always use an eSata port if I have large local data transfers, or use XP.

Comment

Originally posted by Loaded4th View Post
            Thanks for the tip about Kernel 3.0, Kubuntu 11.04 does not seem to use it, so I guess I'll have to wait. I can always use an eSata port if I have large local data transfers, or use XP.
            I was reading about it because I'm considering an Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 1155 mobo in case I upgrade. Even if it's a bit more $$ than I'd like, it looks interesting. The Pro3 is another alternative. They all use the etron chip so I read up a bit on it. Apparently, there's an upstream fix or patches that can be applied for a 2.6.38 kernel. I only skimmed over it since I have no idea yet if I'm upgrading or to what brand/board.

I probably would still be using usb 2.0 anyway so it will likely be solved by then. Also, there's a lot of usb 2.0 ports anyway. It was mostly FYI in case you tried to use it.

Comment

I was reading about it because I'm considering an Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 1155 mobo in case I upgrade. Even if it's a bit more $$ than I'd like, it looks interesting. The Pro3 is another alternative. They all use the etron chip so I read up a bit on it. Apparently, there's an upstream fix or patches that can be applied for a 2.6.38 kernel. I only skimmed over it since I have no idea yet if I'm upgrading or to what brand/board.

I probably would still be using usb 2.0 anyway so it will likely be solved by then. Also, there's a lot of usb 2.0 ports anyway. It was mostly FYI in case you tried to use it.
              I only paid $35 at MicroCenter for the Asrock Z68 Pro3, but the core i7 + cooler was 8 times that! Still, it's been a while since I spent any real money on a system, and this should last for maybe a decade with all the software I'm ever likely to use. I actually spent about $500 on the whole system as a friend kicked in a bit as I'd spent a considerable amount of time on upgrading his system. I would have preferred an AMD processor, but this was a special deal plus the low power.

I'm a bit of a newbe on Kubuntu, although I have managed to work my way through a few challenges in the past, even compiling an intel driver for an old HP DC5100 a few revisions ago by following instructions!

Even though some of the points I mentioned have been listed elsewhere in this forum, I just wanted to share the major hurdles I faced in a single post. You seem to be taking a more cautious approach to your investment, I guess I was a bit more impulsive, as I hadn't really researched the Linux side, although XP was my main focus.

Thanks again...

Comment

One thing to know about Asrock 1155 SB boards is that they all use the etron chip for the USB 3.0. It's still not supporting Linux yet but apparently there are now patches for it. Unfortunately, the support will only effect installs using kernel 3.0. Something like that, anyway.
                Good to know.
                I'm about to buy a Z68M-ITX, which has an ASMedia ASM1042. Is that chip better supported by Linux?

Comment

The Etron and ASM1042 both use the xHCI standard, which isn't yet bug-free in Ubuntu 11.04/Linux 2.6.38. There has been some upstream work so perhaps it'll be working better with 11.10/3.0.

Comment

Originally posted by puntarenas View Post
                    Unfortunately this mainboard has problems with dual boot setups using Linux besides Windows 7-x64, warmstarts result in networking problems. Whenever I boot into Windows, the NIC goes nuts in an "em1: link up" loop after rebooting into Linux, which makes it unusable. You always have to completely shutdown the system after using Windows, otherwise you will end up without reliable networking under Linux:

Hello everybody, my NIC drives me crazy and I need some help to gather all relevant informations to file a decent bug report. Maybe someone could guide me through this process. My mainboard is an AsRock Z68 Pro3 http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z68%20Pro3&cat=Specifications I use a dual-boot setup with Windows7 installed in parallel to Fedora 15-x64. Whenever I had Windows in use and jjust reboot the system into Fedora, the NIC does not work as expected. Instead it goes in
                    Just for the record, kernel 3.1 fixed this problem (3.1.0-0.rc8.git0.0.fc16.x86_64).
                    Last edited by puntarenas; 04 October 2011, 01:19 AM.

Comment

unable to unstall k/ubuntu 11.10

I'm having no luck installing Kubuntu 11.10 64-bit.. also tried and failed with Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit (32 bit is downloading now for the next try).

Have upgraded the BIOS to 1.60 (latest on the Asrock site)...

Attempting to install via USB stick.

Under Ubuntu, I use F11 to select the USB stick for boot... see the Ubuntu installer menu, hit Enter to boot.. see some of the boot log scroll by.. last thing I see is
                      Code:
                      saned disabled: edit /etc/default/saned
                      then the screen goes black, and a short time later I see what looks like a QVGA garbage image, scaled up to 1080p.. ie. a very blocky garbage image, mostly white, with some blue & red mixed in.. I don't seem to get anywhere past that.

I've run memtest and all looks good there.

Just to be sure.. this is the board: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157251

EDIT: Kubuntu from burned DVD also fails.. funky screen right after trying to start CUPS.
                      Last edited by zim2dive; 23 October 2011, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X