ASRock Z68 Pro3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by puntarenas View Post
    I've read a lot of those bugreports when searching for a solution to my problem...

...but the symptoms were different to mine. For me the r8169 kernel driver always worked stable and without any problems when booting directly into Linux. With the AsRock Z68 Pro3 it now only worked reliable as long as Windows was not in between reboots, but besides that I have also nothing to complain. The ASUS P8P67 had no problems at all and that is why I still believe that there is something at least suboptimal within the AsRock UEFI.

I will send a short mail to AsRock again with a link to this discussion. Either they want to assist kernel developers, put some pressure on Realtek in doing so, fix their UEFI themselves or will again completely ignore my mail.
    i had problems with my board whether or not I booted into windows. Even if i didn't I had disconnects im sure. As I remember anyway.

Comment

I have the micro-atx version of this board and I had alot of trouble booting into linux at first, it would only work 1 out of every 3 boots. I updated to a 3.0 kernel in Ubuntu 11.04 and honestly that fixed all my problems. Boots like a charm. I'm running an i7 2600k and a Nvidia 450GT, I havent tried any of the onboard video connections.

Comment

Originally posted by ak888 View Post
        I just built a core i7 using the matx version of this board and placed an old hdd which already had ubuntu server installed. The machine boots into this ok. However, I wanted to install kubuntu 11.04 - promptly created a bootable USB key with unetbootin and kicked it off. Kubuntu seems to start up the plymouth screen, the dots flash across showing progress then the machine just shutsdown.

Anyone seen this or experienced this with this board?
        Fixed my problem with a BIOS upgrade to 1.40 (latest for the matx board).

Kubuntu 11.04 seems to work most fine - early days yet.

Current issues I have seen:
        limited lm-sensors support (as highlighted by the review)
        cpu scaling - doesn't seem to be scaling. Always showing 3.4 GHz.
        Wake On Lan doesn't seem to be working. When the PC is off I expect the see the lights flash indicating traffic (I have also added an upstart conf to execute ethtool on network start to set the wake-on-lan option)

Comment

If it helps anyone, with the matx pro3 version, if you set the IGP voltage to auto, kubuntu startup will switch off the machine. A fixed value does not have tis problem. This was the problem I was seeing when installing kubuntu. I upgraded the bios and think the upgrade put the default to a fixed value and not auto.

Comment

as of

commit 70090424e59652c4b2e777b533cc23134b176b83
            Author: Hayes Wang <[email protected]>
            Date: Wed Jul 6 15:58:06 2011 +0800

r8169: support RTL8111E-VL.

(3.0.0+) the ethernet is working correctly without using the vendor driver.

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
              as of

commit 70090424e59652c4b2e777b533cc23134b176b83
              Author: Hayes Wang <[email protected]>
              Date: Wed Jul 6 15:58:06 2011 +0800

r8169: support RTL8111E-VL.

(3.0.0+) the ethernet is working correctly without using the vendor driver.
              Thank you, thank you and thank you for pointing that out. I'd been pulling my hair out over the r8168 driver not building on >=3.0.0 (the makefile pops-out a 2.4 kernel module!) and I hadn't realised that the r8169 driver had now been updated to play nicely with my/our NIC.

Wonderful stuff. No more compiling my own NIC drivers every time I install a new kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by tomm3h View Post
                Thank you, thank you and thank you for pointing that out. I'd been pulling my hair out over the r8168 driver not building on >=3.0.0 (the makefile pops-out a 2.4 kernel module!) and I hadn't realised that the r8169 driver had now been updated to play nicely with my/our NIC.

Wonderful stuff. No more compiling my own NIC drivers every time I install a new kernel.
                I actually posted a link to a copy of the vendor driver earlier in the thread, and I had fixed up the installer to build against 2.6/3.0 properly. Guess you missed that

Comment

Originally posted by buzz View Post
                  I actually posted a link to a copy of the vendor driver earlier in the thread, and I had fixed up the installer to build against 2.6/3.0 properly. Guess you missed that
                  Apparently I did. No harm; running the included driver is a much more preferable solution.

Comment

ASRock Z68 Setup Issues - Dual Boot XP/Kubuntu

Here's my experience:

It?s been awhile since I built a PC, but as I wanted a state-of-the-art system that runs Windows XP. I purchased an ASRock Z68 Pro3-M motherboard along with an Intel Core i7 2600K processor, 8Gb of memory and a couple of 2.5? drives (64Gb 6Gb/s SSD + 750Gb 3 Gb/s). I also obtained a Sentey mATX case that turned out to be a disaster as the power supply radiated so much electrical noise that it interfered with the doorbell and other devices. It was also useless as a desktop as there was insufficient heat extraction and the front LCD panel did not work completely. The Sentey case was returned.

I could not find a mATX desktop case locally, so I swapped the guts around of a few old computers and ended up with a reworked HP DC5000 case that has one external 5.25? bay, one external 3.5? bay plus an internal 3.5? bay. I?ve used a 3.5? converter to two 2.5? bays for the internal 750G drive and a StarTech trayless hot swap mobile rack for the SSD drive. I replaced the existing power supply with a 1U Athena FlexATX 300W unit and ordered two 60mm x 25mm fans and two 40mm x 25mm fans, both from SilenX, to replace the existing fans I added, or in place, that are rather noisy.

After several attempts, I installed XP on a 17Gb partition and Kubuntu 11.04 on a 30Gb partition of the 750Gb drive; when everything is loaded, I?ll transfer these OS?s to the 64Gb SSD.

Installing these OS?s proved to be something of a challenge as I was unfamiliar with the BIOS settings required. After numerous attempts I discovered that I had to have the BIOS PCI/ROM priority set to EFI. When running the Kubuntu install CD, select UEFI [DVD_drive] to install it in GPT mode. For XP, I set the SATA mode to [AHCI] and when booting with the XP CD, select AHCI [DVD_drive] to install it in MBR mode. If these setting are changed after installation, XP will not boot.

The XP install CD does not contain the necessary drivers for this SATA mode, and I had to temporally plug in a 3.5? floppy drive and create a SATA/ SATAII/ SATA3 driver diskette. This is done using the ASRock DVD that is packaged with the motherboard. During POST at boot-up, press F11 and select DVD/CD device. Press ?Y?> when prompted if you want to generate a Serial ATA driver diskette. When the XP installation CD starts, it loads a range of drivers with the comment to press F6 to add additional drivers. Pressing F6 allows the SATA driver to be loaded after loading its own drivers. There seems to be no option but to use a floppy diskette for this purpose unless you can slipstream an XP install CD.

Loading XP after I had installed Kubuntu meant I had no dual boot or Grub loader. I loaded a Parted Magic CD, selected the Extras Menu and ran the Grub2 bootloader. I then selected ?Find OS?s? so that I could boot into Kubuntu. Once up and running I re-installed Grub2 and installed a Grub bootmanager/configuration utility, chose XP as the default Boot OS, and rebooted.

Comment

Why not switch to Windows 7? When I installed XP Pro, I always used a slipstreamed CD to avoid the very issues you speak of.

One thing to know about Asrock 1155 SB boards is that they all use the etron chip for the USB 3.0. It's still not supporting Linux yet but apparently there are now patches for it. Unfortunately, the support will only effect installs using kernel 3.0. Something like that, anyway.

Comment

Working...
                      X