Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock H61M/U3S3

Phoronix: ASRock H61M/U3S3

At Phoronix we have reviewed several different motherboards under Linux since the Sandy Bridge launch with either the P67 or H67 chipsets, but in this review we are looking at one that uses the Intel H61 chipset. The particular motherboard under test is the ASRock H61M/U3S3, which was launched a few months back, but we've been waiting for the Intel Sandy Bridge open-source support under Linux to mature a bit more.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why there is no OpenGL intensive applications on this phoronix test?

Comment

Looks a great motherboard. Just what ASRock has been for years, with a good price.
      I have seen on the screenshots that you can set only 2 drives in the boot sequence. My ASRock K7S41GX from 2005 could put all available drives in the sequence, with its old AMI BIOS.
      But anyway, the BIOS is that easy to set-up today that you can just put another drive into the boot sequence if necessary. The ASRock BIOS has improved very much, except for the limited boot sequence.
      fernandoc1: The graphics card, Sandy Bridge, has been tested much this days.
      Last edited by AlbertP; 15 July 2011, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Compatibility?

Just wondering why new motherboards still include the old PS/2 and VGA ports. I can understand the rationale of including VGA since screens still ship with it (they shouldn't) but what about PS/2? That port should have already died.

Comment

Originally posted by bachinchi View Post
          Just wondering why new motherboards still include the old PS/2 and VGA ports. I can understand the rationale of including VGA since screens still ship with it (they shouldn't) but what about PS/2? That port should have already died.
          You can't enter your serial key on registering windows xp with usb keyboard. I have no idea if 7ista solved it, but looks like all pathetic world is waiting for pathetic windows and its bugs.
          Abit, now defunct company thanks to its crappy managers, were the first ones to make a board with usb and firewire only, dumping ps2, com and lpt altogether. That was in era of Socket A.

Nice review btw. Having 4 memory ports of course would be better. Still, SATA are well arranged for high-end gfx cards.
          Last edited by crazycheese; 15 July 2011, 03:19 PM.

Comment

VGA is outdated but still used often - many cheaper flatscreen monitors of the 21st century are still VGA-only. There is no reason why people shouldn't be able to keep using the same monitor when replacing their computer. I am still using the CRT monitor of my first computer from 1996.
            I agree that there has to be a DVI port too.
            Last edited by AlbertP; 16 July 2011, 05:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by specs in the article
              - Supports HDMI 1.4a Technology with max. resolution up to 1920x1200 @ 60Hz
              - Supports DVI with max. resolution up to 1920x1200 @ 60Hz
              - Supports D-Sub with max. resolution up to 2048x1536 @ 75Hz
              Looks like D-Sub gets the highest resolution and refresh rate, despite being Dead....

Myself, I'm just hoping everyone hurries up and switches to DisplayPort. (As I use DVI to a cheap LCD, the DP port fills up with dust....)

Comment

Does anyone know if the SATA chipset on this motherboard supports FIS-based port multiplier for eSATA? I have an external HDD enclosure with space for five HDDs, but it only has one eSATA connector to the motherboard. It's designed to work in the same way as a USB hub, with all the drives simultaneously sharing the eSATA controller.

Problem is, they don't. My motherboard's eSATA controller (some Marvell crap) only supports command-based switching. So you can only use one drive at a time in the enclosure. Really inconvenient. I also can't seem to boot from the drives, regardless of how many I have installed.

I think the enclosure itself has fine hardware, and I paid top dollar for it, I just think that I need to upgrade my mobo to one with FIS-based port multiplier. But I can't find this spec mentioned anywhere on any mobo

Comment

Here is a (probably somewhat outdated) list of SATA controllers:

In the PNP SM column, you can see the way it switches: CBS or FBS.

Marvell is not crap - they're also having FBS chips according to that list.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertP View Post
                    Here is a (probably somewhat outdated) list of SATA controllers:

In the PNP SM column, you can see the way it switches: CBS or FBS.

Marvell is not crap - they're also having FBS chips according to that list.
                    While outdated, that list is pretty useful. Thanks.

I laughed at the Marvell 88SE6121 -- it supports no features whatsoever And of course that's the SATA controller on my motherboard.

Really thinking now that it might be time to get a new mobo and double my RAM while I'm at it; my GPU, disks and CPU are fine, but this mobo's killing me. Other problem I have with this mobo is that the IOMMU is broken, so I can't enable VT-d or I get random kernel lockups inside DRM (complicated to explain, but basically a chip on the mobo is fatally flawed so that it can't be used, and Intel VT-d requires it.)

Comment

Working...
                    X