ASRock H61M/U3S3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AlbertP View Post
    VGA is outdated but still used often - many cheaper flatscreen monitors of the 21st century are still VGA-only. There is no reason why people shouldn't be able to keep using the same monitor when replacing their computer. I am still using the CRT monitor of my first computer from 1996.
    I agree that there has to be a DVI port too.
    Its vice versa - there should be DVI with additional active VGA adapter. I still use VGA to connect to my TV@home - I hate hdmi.

Comment

Ubuntu experiences

I've got this motherboard running Ubuntu 11.04. I've found all to work fine except issues with USB. If I connect a USB headset on a port on the same USB controller as the mouse, the mouse will often freeze when there's any audio playing. Similarly when the webcam is plugged in with anything else, it won't work either.

The USB3 controller works fine (though only tested with USB2 devices), but when I plug in my PCI TV tuner card, the USB3 controller isn't recognised anymore, so those ports don't work at all. I posted details here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1802578

It seems a good motherboard, if only these issues can be sorted out.

Comment

Do you use the motherboard atx connectors or front usb?

Comment

USB 3 is known to have some problems with Ubuntu 11.04. Are you sure that you have installed the update to the 2.6.38-10 kernel?

Comment

Just bought this

I just bought this mobo because of this article!!

My mom needed a new pc so...
            I put it togetter and just trew ubuntu natty 64bit in there and everything is going very well.
            I don't know if I want to mess natty up by getting the latest kernel and mesa... Because my mom will be using this.

I think i'll just stick with stock natty and wait for oneiric. Unless someone has some good advice for me?

Anyway thanks for the article ! Helped me a lot.

Grtz, Alex from Belgium

Comment

Coud i ask some update?
              From Ubuntu 11.10 and so on, put aside the LM_Sensors support issue, everything work fine out-of-the-box?
              Between the Multi VGA Output options available:
              D-Sub, DVI-D and HDMI;
              which one was tested?
              For example is the HDMI 1.4a standard full suported?

As minor issue, the LM_Sensors support when will be available?

Comment

Intel HD Graphics 2000/3000 on Ubuntu is decent nowadays. HDMI is supported, but I don't know how well it can do 1.4a. At least HDMI audio is supposed to be working. But as you might know audio is always the most problematic part of HDMI, no matter what graphics card brand or driver (open- or closed-source) you use, probably except AMD's proprietary driver which seems to have it working right.

About sensors, probably these commands can make it work:
                Code:
                sudo sensors-detect
                sudo modprobe coretemp
                The coretemp module is for measuring the temperature of Intel Core, Core 2, Core i, etc. CPU's and probably their Pentium/Celeron derivatives as well. It works well on Ubuntu Natty so should work on Oneiric as well. As sudo sensors-detect did not yet detect it on some CPU's on Natty you had to load it manually. Oh yes, adding coretemp to /etc/modules makes it permanent.

I don't know if Oneiric has any improvement on this.

If you need a board with out-of-the-box reliable lm-sensors support without needing much terminal work, get an Asus one with AMD CPU (M4N68T LE V2 is a good Linux-compatible board).
                Last edited by AlbertP; 25 December 2011, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Not much I can say

I only tested vga. It's connected to an old screen.
                  And it's still running natty.
                  I have to time to look into it, sorry.
                  But I can say it's running fine.
                  I did update to kernel 3.0, which helped a lot.
                  Sometimes I play Nexiuz on it. Runs sweet!

Comment

Working...
                  X