Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit, Tyan Thunder S2915-E & Crucial CT256M225 256GB SSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit, Tyan Thunder S2915-E & Crucial CT256M225 256GB SSD

I am attempting to install Ubuntu 10.10 (64-bit) on a Crucial 256GB SSD. Currently I have a working install of Ubuntu running on the board off of a spare Hitachi 250GB drive however I ultimately want my primary boot partition on the SSD for performance reasons.

Tyan Thunder S2915-E
    2 x Opteron 2378 / 32GB DDR667-RE
    EVGA GeForce 275 GTX / Tuniq 1000W PSU
    Crucial 256GB M225 SSD (boot)
    ARC-1120 PCI-X / 3 x 2TB Hitachi 7200 RAID5 (data)

I am having persistent issues getting Ubuntu to recognize (correctly) the Crucial 256GB SSD. Although the SSD is recognized in the BIOS the Ubuntu installer fails to register it as a viable partition on it's first pass. If I reflash the BIOS of the SSD (using the "reflash" switch on front) the drive is now recognized as a 256.1 GB partition (which I think is erroneous, it should be more along the lines of 238 GB).

I have found advice online stating that the SATA controller must be set to AHCI mode however I cannot find any corresponding setting in the BIOS.

How do I go about installing Ubuntu 10.10 on a CT256M225 SSD?

I've found a thread that seems to indicate that this might be due to a bug:

...but I'm having some trouble implementing an immediate solution from the details of the thread - at least, I don't really know how to pass the kernel boot parameters described in the thread, if indeed this is the workaround the author is suggesting.

Advice?

Comment

Okay... crickets... I get it.

So, possible alternate solution... install Ubuntu from within... Ubuntu...

So I obviously have an issue with the 10.10 (64-bit) installer in that it does not recognized the Crucial SSD drive I have installed on my box correctly. Initially I thought it was an issue with the hardware and RMA'd the drive however now realize that the likely culprit is the Ubuntu installer itself.

In order to test the rest of the hardware while waiting for the RMA'd drive I installed Ubuntu on a separate partition on the box and thus have a working secondary partition that I can boot from. From within Ubuntu it seems I am able to access/format the SSD correctly (using gparted); it seems that it is only the installer that cannot handle the drive...

Is there a way that I can install Ubuntu on a second partition from within Ubuntu itself?

Comment

You might want to try a different distro.

Originally posted by allbread View Post
        Okay... crickets... I get it.

So, possible alternate solution... install Ubuntu from within... Ubuntu...

So I obviously have an issue with the 10.10 (64-bit) installer in that it does not recognized the Crucial SSD drive I have installed on my box correctly. Initially I thought it was an issue with the hardware and RMA'd the drive however now realize that the likely culprit is the Ubuntu installer itself.

In order to test the rest of the hardware while waiting for the RMA'd drive I installed Ubuntu on a separate partition on the box and thus have a working secondary partition that I can boot from. From within Ubuntu it seems I am able to access/format the SSD correctly (using gparted); it seems that it is only the installer that cannot handle the drive...

Is there a way that I can install Ubuntu on a second partition from within Ubuntu itself?

Comment

Working...
        X