AMD AM3 Unbuffered ECC Ram supporting motherboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gpacster View Post
    I happen to have a few sticks of ecc server memory and looking for a desktop mobo Asus M4A785M-T will this board run it? any suggestions on a mobo?Thx
    Since you are new here - I suggest re-reading the first post of this topic.

Note: *SERVER* ram is typically 'Registered' which means electrically it works slightly differently then "regular" desktop system ram.

If I were you - check the model # from that ram to determine what kind it is, if its some kind of Unbuffered DDR2/3 - then you're OK.

The magic keywords here are UNBUFFERED - ECC or not.

Comment

AM3/AM3+ ECC Support

Hate to bump my own thread; but new information is here!

AM3+ Boards that support Unbuffered ECC

ASUS:
      -AMD 900 Series chipsets (970/990)
      -EXCLUDING 880G!

MSI:

Comment

What is the recommend method for watching RAM for ECC errors?
        Are they logged in /var/log/messages? Or do I have to watch /sys/devices/system/edac/mc/?
        What do you use?
        TIA, testerus

Comment

A single bit error will generate a Machine Check Event which is shown in dmesg and captured by your system logger. Some BIOSes have a log of them too.

A non-correctable error will cause a Machine Check Exception and lead to system halt by default (but this can be overridden).

Comment

This is relevant enough for me to finally register an account here.

Originally posted by Melchior View Post
            AM3+ Boards that support Unbuffered ECC

ASUS:
            -AMD 900 Series chipsets (970/990)
            -EXCLUDING 880G!
            Now where does that come from? I was planning to upgrade a couple of workstations with FX-8150 on ASUS M5A88-V EVO, which has an AM3+ socket and 880G chipset.
            As expected, ECC support ist listed in the manual. Is there something I missed?

Btw., ECC support in "consumer" class hardware was my main motivation to buy AMD (and ASUS) hardware for the past five years and worked as advertised, kudos to AMD, although I'd wish FM1 had that capability, too. I just hope the FM2 platform fixes that issue.

Comment

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
              ECC is unofficially but fully supported with a lot of tweaks in BIOS - like memory scrubbing etc. I use it as a NAS platform (because of 10 Sata3 ports).

Comment

Originally posted by Cres View Post
                Now where does that come from? I was planning to upgrade a couple of workstations with FX-8150 on ASUS M5A88-V EVO, which has an AM3+ socket and 880G chipset.
                As expected, ECC support ist listed in the manual. Is there something I missed?
                Evidently its something ASUS missed. This information is usually from a manual / BIOS - but ASUS distinctly listed the 800G as not supporting ECC on the board's webpage... probably a typo or mistake.

I've heard about other Gigabyte boards supporting ECC, good that the 990FX series is there - is this a modded BIOS or a later revision?

Comment

Two of our developers' workstations have ASUS mainboards with 880G chipsets (ASUS M5A88-M EVO), and they support ECC just fine. One curious difference is that with a Phenom X6, Linux' EDAC subsystem reports S4ECD4ED in /sys/devices/system/edac/mc/mc*/csrow*/edac_mode, and with an FX-4xxx CPU reports only SECDED instead. Does anyone happen to know why that is?
                  Last edited by colo; 11 April 2012, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Yes, I just ordered some ECC/unbuffered (ECC/UDIMM) for my Proliant Microserver.

I decided to test them in my GigaByte 970A-UD3 motherboard and they worked. They were still manually configured for my old 1600MHz desktop RAM, but I could see an ECC [enabled] option in dram configuration.

I loaded system defaults in the BIOS and rebooted so they would auto setup themselves and when I went into the BIOS it said ECC Support was disabled and about a half-dozen ECC options were all grayed out (set to [disabled].

After enabling the ECC option I was able to enable the top halve, while the bottom half wanted me to set timings that I have no idea what they should be. Hopefully somehere can explain what they are what they should be.

Here's a screen shot of BIOS:

If you know of any links for extra help/explanations that would be great
                    -=Mark=-

Comment

MCE sound like machine check exception
                      Chipkill set to off since it is iirc. only on very expensive IBMs, even better than pure ECC, but you need the expensive HW.
                      Dunno about redirection and all the single scrubbing options, would have to look that up on the net myself. I guess it is the part that goes regularly around and checks for errors and corrects them and stuff. Though I thought something like that would also be done by the kernel. Basically that is one core component of ECC so you might want to turn it on unless strange things happen afterwards.

All the bottom half is good old traditional stuff. Normally you just set it to SPD (that is a small chip on you RAM, the normal + 1 additional membanks - and then a tiny thing, which does the timing for you). So SPD will set it and you should be fine. These options are only meant in case there is no SPD or you want to manually speed up things but then you have to carefully try step by step to keep your system stable. And since stability is your main concern when using ECC anyway you should just leave it to the SPD.
                      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
                      X