No announcement yet.

AMD AM3 Unbuffered ECC Ram supporting motherboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so basically the optional setting are for compatibility stuff and generally not need? I cleared CMOS and Load System Defaults in BIOS and all are still disabled. I try to set spd profile, but it doesn't list one. description says AUTO will load SPD by default. I have to manually Enable ECC, but I now leave the other settings disabled. So my ECC is enabled and working as it should? or do I need some/all the others enabled or set?

I did some searching on ECC setting. all I came up with was edac-utils for linux. It seems to read log files and tell the system when to scrub or something. so it does like the kernel does most things. Not sure if windows kernel does? or only the server editions of windows?

Do you know of any software that will read the RAM to tell me if ECC is enabled or what the ECC settings are set at?

Thanks for your help
    -=Mark=-

Comment

Good Ol' Memtest86+ will note the ECC status.

and Yes, EDAC will log correctable errors fixed by the ECC scrubber (its hardware register polling basically).

Comment

To check if the Linux kernel has the appropriate EDAC drivers loaded for your memory controller, run the following shell command:
        Code:
        grep . /sys/devices/system/edac/mc/mc*/csrow*/*

Comment

Pay attention, ASRock AMD boards are very probably not supporting ECC memory.
          Manual indicates that only non-ECC memory is supported.
          Some googling revealed, that ECC memory in 890 chipset was not recognised.

Additionally, the support with ASRock is virtually absent completely.

Comment

For posterity:

Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 (rev. 1.0; BIOS F12) inofficially supports unbuffered ECC memory, as seen in BIOS settings and verified otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
              I have 2x harddrives on my machine, but I dont do raid, but rather normal backups exactly for the reason that RAID is only partial backup. The situation you describe never ever happend to me and I can only imagine bit-flipping on very high-electrosmog devices such as rack servers. Can you report the opposite?
              RAID is not a partial backup! RAID is not a substitute for backup. RAID and backing up your data are two different concepts, and you need both to be fully protected. For example, RAID only protects you in the event of physical hard drive failure. That's it. Nothing else. RAID does not protect you against data corruption, user error, virus/malware, fire, flood, theft, etc. Taking regular backups and storing them offsite does protect you against all those things. RAID and backups are complementary, not replacements for one another.

Originally posted by Cres View Post
              Btw., ECC support in "consumer" class hardware was my main motivation to buy AMD (and ASUS) hardware for the past five years and worked as advertised, kudos to AMD, although I'd wish FM1 had that capability, too. I just hope the FM2 platform fixes that issue.
              I'm more familiar with the workstation & server chips like Opteron and Xeon. I assume the consumer desktop chips also have their memory controller built-in as part of the CPU? How do you tell if a consumer AMD chip supports ECC memory or not? Obviously the chip (with memory controller), motherboard, and BIOS all must have ECC support to enable the feature.

Comment

Working...
              X