Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fujitsu D2533 (rebadged Tyan Thunder S2915-E)... what the heck is PC2004?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fujitsu D2533 (rebadged Tyan Thunder S2915-E)... what the heck is PC2004?

I had a thread running over at tomshardware for awhile (before I gave up):

Currently installed: Nvidia 275GTX PCI-E card Tuniq 1000W PSU 2 x Opteron 2378 CPUs 8 * 4GB Registered Hitachi DDR2-667 The D2533 is essentially the Thunder S2915 repackaged in a workstation sold by Fujitsu. This is a used board I got as a working pull from a workstation that was being broken...

I purchased a Fujitsu D2533 motherboard awhile back and was attempting to get it to POST - without any luck, as detailed in the thread above. I eventually bought a Thunder S2915-E and all of my components came up fine however I noticed that, in comparison to the S2915-E, the D2533 did not have an additional 8-pin PSU port on the board; it is detailed as having such in the manual but the corresponding location on the board instead seems to have a "PC2004 PSU Connector"...

Google-ing now I can find even less documentation on the D2533 than I could six months ago... however I do have a copy of the motherboard manual (A26361-D2533-Z210-1-7619, Edition 1 2009/04) which seems to indicate that the PC2004 port is a "PSU Fan Control" interface...

I don't think the 8-pin PSU connector was broken off (at least from inspection the corresponding location on the board does not seem to have any kind of damage) however admittedly I could simply be mistaking the proximity of the PC2004 port to the location of the 8-pin port as having more significance that is warranted.

Any advice?

Are you sure that the power supply leads aren't mangled to prevent compatibility with conventional power supplies? Sometimes box builders (like fujitsu) will do this in order to prevent you from upgrading/repairing with generic parts rather than their own 10x inflated prices on their version of the exact same thing.

If they did this, then you could have fried the board. Maybe even the CPU(s) and/or RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
      Are you sure that the power supply leads aren't mangled to prevent compatibility with conventional power supplies? Sometimes box builders (like fujitsu) will do this in order to prevent you from upgrading/repairing with generic parts rather than their own 10x inflated prices on their version of the exact same thing.

If they did this, then you could have fried the board. Maybe even the CPU(s) and/or RAM.
      This is a possibility however as I currently have the same components on POSTing successfully on a second Tyan Thunder S2915-E. I don't think anything was fried. The board does seem to be "mysteriously" missing the 8-pin PSU connector though (the board diagram indicates that there "should" be one but there is no corresponding port on the board).

If this is the case would it be conceivable to put a new 8-Pin port on the board...?

Comment

Originally posted by allbread View Post
        This is a possibility however as I currently have the same components on POSTing successfully on a second Tyan Thunder S2915-E. I don't think anything was fried. The board does seem to be "mysteriously" missing the 8-pin PSU connector though (the board diagram indicates that there "should" be one but there is no corresponding port on the board).

If this is the case would it be conceivable to put a new 8-Pin port on the board...?
        I wouldn't suggest adding any new connectors onto the board. Though it may be possible (you might see blanks on the part of the board where it would be), typically, if it was left off, it wasn't needed, and the fact that it worked BEFORE without it suggests also that it isn't needed.

Have you tried (if possible) reassembling the entire workstation with all the original components?

Comment

Fujitsu D2533 rebadged Tyan Thunder S2915 E what the heck is PC2004

You may want to try re-flashing your board with an older BIOS if you can find one. I dont know what would be causing that problem though. Maybe the flash was bad, but still good enough to work in some capacity?

Comment

Originally posted by bruimi View Post
            You may want to try re-flashing your board with an older BIOS if you can find one. I dont know what would be causing that problem though. Maybe the flash was bad, but still good enough to work in some capacity?
            1) His board won't POST.
            2) He didn't change the BIOS.
            3) BRAIIIIINNNNNS!!!!

Comment

Yeah - I've since purchased a replacement board (a Tyan S2915-E proper) and everything looks to be in order. I did notice by the time I got round to the new board that one of the (8x4GB) sticks of registered DDR2 had gone bad but I don't think this was an issue with the Fujitsu board as I believe I tested it with multiple sets of DDR2.

Now my problem is getting the Ubuntu installer to correctly recognize the 256GB Crucial SSD drive I'm attempting to install my boot partition on...

Comment

Working...
              X