Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Socket AM3 Motherboard?

Hello,

I'm looking to upgrade my system which is currently a Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz E8400. And I'm very keen to upgrade to a Hex core 1055T (for RAW image processing, movie editing and games). Obviously this means a new Mobo and DDR3 ram as well which I'm fine with.

I won't be doing crossfire so I thought an 880G chipset would be best value. Although I have a Radeon 5750 so the onboard video would be wasted.

My usual distro is Ubuntu, and it needs to have a firewire port and SPDIF audio.

Have AMD given any indications to their plans for the AM3 socket? I'd like to get at least one useful cpu upgrade out of whatever motherboard I buy.

So far I like the look of the Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H for ?60, and the phoronix article on the ASRock 880G Extreme3 was good but it's about ?84 over here.

So does anyone have any experience with these or any other suitable motherboards?

Thanks!

Evan.

If I understand correctly, when Llano comes out in Summer 2011 then it will not fit into existing AM3 sockets. Same for Bulldozer which is rumored to be released in late 2011. So I would guess you practically have 1 year for CPU upgrades.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
      If I understand correctly, when Llano comes out in Summer 2011 then it will not fit into existing AM3 sockets. Same for Bulldozer which is rumored to be released in late 2011. So I would guess you practically have 1 year for CPU upgrades.
      Yep that's right. AM3+ motherboard will come anytime in next year. And bulldozer won't work with AM3 motherboard (article with this info is here).

Comment

I can't really understand the goal of upgrading CPU in the same mainboard. If you do that, your original CPU ends up without a mainboard. Better to keep the CPU and M/B as a permanent pair that way you can still use it in something else.

Comment

What about something based on the 870? It seems to be the same as the 880G but without integrated graphics, which you don't need anyway.

Comment

Hey guys, that's all very helpful stuff.

Devius, I wasn't aware that the only difference between the 870 and 880 was the integrated graphics. I'll have to look and see if that broadens my mobo options :-)

Comment

Originally posted by evanjfraser View Post
              Hey guys, that's all very helpful stuff.

Devius, I wasn't aware that the only difference between the 870 and 880 was the integrated graphics. I'll have to look and see if that broadens my mobo options :-)
              Don't be expecting too much... it isn't really any different than 880... its just partially CRIPPLED. There don't seem to be many 870 options available.

Comment

The only chipset I would consider besides a 880G/785G would be the 890FX as it has an IOMMU. But that is mostly interesting if you are into virtualization.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                  The only chipset I would consider besides a 880G/785G would be the 890FX as it has an IOMMU. But that is mostly interesting if you are into virtualization.
                  If you're considering an 880G, why not consider an 890GX?

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                    If you're considering an 880G, why not consider an 890GX?
                    Just price really, the 880s start from ?60 and the 890s from ?100

Thanks, Evan.

Comment

Working...
                    X