Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biker
    replied
    The only search I have found that works is, Supermicro Talk, which displays info on servers compared, ie, Dell, HP, Supermicro, etc, which works for tech info

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Originally posted by Biker View Post
    One thing I have notice, no internet forum for Supermicro talk, wonder why.
    Nothing new when your talking about professional class products. Tyan doesn't have one either.

Leave a comment:

• Biker
    replied
    One thing I have notice, no internet forum for Supermicro talk, wonder why.

Leave a comment:

• phred14
    replied
    Originally posted by Biker View Post
    I would have to say, some of the folks over on Newegg don't know their foot from their own head, reading reviews over there is boring.
    Won't argue with that. But I'm trying to look at the numbers in a "statistical" sort of way. A few low scores are understandable - that kind of stuff always happens. Then checking the details, a lot of people grumbling that the fake-raid doesn't work right, and that I attribute to the boneheadedness of even trying to use fake-raid in the first place.

I'm more looking at out-and-out unreliability - multiple people with DOAs, multiple people having trouble dealing with support, multiple people having subsequent failures, etc.

I also generally discount people who can't get Linux running on a board, though I read more carefully to see why. I've mucked with a fair amount of hardware, and generally gotten it all working, though I must admit that I don't do much on the bleeding edge. Even now I have a PCI soundcard plugged into one system because I haven't been getting proper volume out of hda_intel, though there have been substantial ALSA updates since I tried, and I haven't gotten back to it.

Leave a comment:

• t.s.
    replied
    Guru Plug, everyone?
    guruplug server standardversion. Will come with other version too.

Leave a comment:

• Biker
    replied
    here's a PDSLA in use, for yrs.
    http://s556.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=DSCN7108.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Biker
    replied
    if ya want a cheap server go for the PDSLA, and add the 3Ghz HT cpu, run win 64bit and use 4G ram at DDR2 667Mhz, even with stock cooler it will run for yrs

Leave a comment:

• Biker
    replied
    if ya want a cheap server go for the PDSLA, and add the 3Ghz HT cpu, run win 64bit and use 4G ram at 800Mhz, even with stock cooler it will run for yrs

Leave a comment:

• Biker
    replied
    I would have to say, some of the folks over on Newegg don't know their foot from their own head, reading reviews over there is boring.

Leave a comment:

• phred14
    replied
    I spent a bit more time on Newegg, and the reviews were really poor for the low-end (certainly lower-end than you're talking.) Supermicro boards. At the moment I'm starting to settle on the ASUS P5BV-C/4L as a low-end server board, with a Core2-duo E7600. The whole package is just a bit pricey for me, but it's either this or settle back into consumer-grade/desktop-grade stuff, though probably at about half the price. I think I'm looking at about $400+/- for motherboard, CPU, and 2G ECC ram. That's before I start adding any spinning stuff.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X