Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Framework Laptop 13 To See A RISC-V Motherboard Option

Phoronix: Framework Laptop 13 To See A RISC-V Motherboard Option

Framework Computer Inc announced today that they have been working with DeepComputing on a partner-developed RISC-V motherboard for the Framework Laptop 13...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wooohhhhoooo a modern 486 re-implementation

Comment

Okay now this is cool. Been eyeing the RISC-V laptops from DC-ROMA but two things concerned me:
      • Long-term hardware/firmware support
      • Parts
      Seeing that this get picked up by Framework clears those concerns.

Comment

Originally posted by lyamc View Post
        Okay now this is cool. Been eyeing the RISC-V laptops from DC-ROMA but two things concerned me:
        • Long-term hardware/firmware support
        • Parts
        Seeing that this get picked up by Framework clears those concerns.
        That's my feeling too. That makes a lot more sense for a company trying to make RISC-V laptops: just focus on (a standard) mother board and make it as good as possible. Let framework (or others maybe eventually) make a cool laptop around it.

It would be great if this would spur some innovation via the standardization of the laptop chassis and enable processor choice and development.

Anyone doing the same thing with an ARM board?

Comment

disregard this, it uses the JH7110. so rpi 3 class hardware (milkv mars also uses this soc for a cheaper option then the starfive), you would be much better off getting something like the lichee sipeed book https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...yAdapt=glo2usa

which has a liche pi4a out of box and is upgradeable to the new LM5A which uses a eic7700 soc, 4x P550 cores which are A75 class cores.

the JH7110 is hardly going to be usable in this device, even as just a dev deviec.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
            better off getting something like the lichee sipeed book https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...yAdapt=glo2usa
            Its is RISC-V and they called it "Sipeed Lichee Book 4A RISCV [...] Laptop Development Board Raspberry Pie"

I personally would go for the Framework just for them not being weird with the naming...

Comment

Any RISC-V option is good to have.

Please stop complaining at low speed, it's not coming overnight by magic.

Comment

I don't want to be a party pooper, but this product really doesn't make any sense. The JH7110 SoC is pretty old and outdated at this point and doesn't provide the performance needed to do even basic everyday stuff. It's not even close in fact. Also, various boards and even (inexpensive) laptops featuring this SoC already exist!

It's only good for tinkering, really. But then the combination with the premium parts of the Framework laptop and things like the high-res screen don't make any sense at all, either.

Unfortunately, what's going to happen now is that naive Framework customers will buy into the hype only to be severely disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Its is RISC-V and they called it "Sipeed Lichee Book 4A RISCV [...] Laptop Development Board Raspberry Pie"

I personally would go for the Framework just for them not being weird with the naming...
                  ahahaha, yeah thats fair,​

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
                  Any RISC-V option is good to have.

Please stop complaining at low speed, it's not coming overnight by magic.
                  you are right, it doesnt come overnight, it came long ago, there are multiple socs out there now that have far better performance then the one this ships with

Comment

The JH7110 isn't particularly fast even by RPi standards… (never mind laptop x86 CPUs).

Comment

Working...
                    X